Interlining baggage rules

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bthobe, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick question with regards to the topic of baggage rules and interlining, but first a little background:

A large group of us booked tickets via ET from LAS-IAD-ADD on UA and ET respectively. I am the only one with status of the group, Star Gold, the rest are nothing.

From what I have gathered by reading a few of these threads, the 1st carrier sets the baggage fee rules even if the baggage is interlined between multiple airlines? True or false?

If the first question is true, I should not have any problem then checking 3 bags less then 70lbs right?

For those in my party who are not Star Gold/Silver etc... Would they have to pay UA's baggage fee's? Granted according to the UA website, anything heading to Africa should be free up to two bags.

Thanks all!

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the relevant document for interlining luggage rules is IATA Resolution 302, which according to press releases I see online was supposed to take effect 1 April 2011.

According to the summary at http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/cx-and-dragonair-adopt-new-iata-baggage-policies and the handy chart at http://www.lan.com/en_un/sitio_personas/planifica_tu_vuelo/todo_sobre_equipaje/info_iata.html:

The baggage allowance is determined by the rules of the "most significant carrier" on the trip.
    The most significant carrier is the first carrier that crosses between areas, or, if travel is within one area, the first carrier that crosses between sub-areas, or, if travel is within one sub-area, the first international carrier.

In your case, I think the IAD-ADD segment wins because it's between area 1 and area 2.

The ET free baggage allowance is two bags @ 23kg for economy cabin travelers according to http://www.ethiopianairlines.com/en/travel/baggage/freeallowance.aspx.

Please let me know what actually happens when you talk to an agent -- I'm eager to hear how the situation works out.

(I'm reminded of the situation where you buy a United ticket SFO-HNL-OGG / OGG-HNL-SFO, but it turns out the OGG-HNL is operated by Hawaiian Airlines, and they charge fees even for *G travelers. In that situation, I don't think the travel crosses areas, sub-areas, or international boundaries, so maybe it's just first segment?)

sobore likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the above IATA rule might be what is supposed to happen IME the rule is the first carrier is what matters nearly universally.

adambadam likes this.
  4. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good! Thanks Seth!

5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an exception, however:
    • For code-share flights which include a city in the U.S.A., the most significant carrier should be the airline that sold the ticket.
    Was your ET flight a UA codeshare?
    source: That LAN link.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they should be free based on the fact you're heading to Africa. Even if they're not, if you are all on the same itinerary, up to 9 (I think) people should get the free 2-bag allowance. We had a group of 11 (!) family members traveling to Hawaii on UA and, thanks to my status, checked something like 8 bags + 2 strollers + 3 car seats for free. That ticket agent was REALLY busy processing us :)

bthobe likes this.
  7. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fees are based on the starting airline. The biggest concern is your LAS-IAD the same day as the IAD-ACC flight. I know here in BNA people have to fly the day before to catch that ET flight outta IAD. If you are within 12 hourson the international and connecting the same day thenyoushould have no problem with the bags going to final destination. UA requires that we check to final destination through a fill in tag vs CO that requires you to check bags according to reservation. CO will short check a bag even if they know you are traveling onward on a different airline as they can't do a fill-in tag on shares.

8. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Turns out everything worked out well and we were all able to check 2 bags (I got to check 3 as a star gold) with no charge all the way though to ADD. ET did give me some crap about checking the 3rd bag for free and at first wanted me to pay for it, but I think someone else intervened and took care of it for me. Good times.

9. andimal

andimal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear... particularly as this was what was supposed to happen per the rules!