Interline question - AF to AA

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by ChicagoEric, Jun 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be departing CDG for LHR and continuing on LHR-ORD (separate tickets).

CDG-LHR is AF in discounted economy
    LHR-ORD is AA in First

Oneworld Emerald / no status on AF or Skyteam

Couple questions:

Will I be able to check baggage through to Chicago (interline bags to AA)? Assume the answer is yes.

I assume I will have to pay for a second checked bag, even though I would not need to due to class of service and status on AA. Is their any way around the EUR55 fee? I assume not. Is there any way to pay for an upgrade either before the flight or at the airport? Would that entitle me to a second fee-free bag?

Finally, and a bit off topic - Does AF sell day passes to their lounges? What about to the Skyteam lounge at LHR?

Thanks for any thoughts...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule, you shouldn't expect any special treatment or privileges, including buy-ups, when flying discount coach on an airline/alliance with which you have no status. AFAIK AF doesn't sell cheap upgrades from discounted coach (you can always pay the fare difference and a change fee if space is available) or lounge access. You might want to investigate day rates at contract lounges or (better) consider priority pass if there's time before your flights to get a membership card. I don't know why you would want to use the SkyTeam lounge at LHR as opposed to going directly to AA's IFC lounge arrangements.

I hope you have lots of time in LHR, including to change terminals. With separate tickets you should be nevertheless able to interline the bags, but be sure to have printouts of your ticket and itinerary with you. However, you might want to reconsider if the FC priority tags are useful with AA as AF will probably refuse or be unable to tag your bags as FC or elite. EUR55 seems like a lot; would it cost less to just check the bags to LHR with AF?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the question - my read of the Air France website is that it's EUR55 for a second checked bag - first is free. I have 5 hours at LHR, so I don't mind retrieving and then rechecking the bags if it can be done more cheaply. Has anyone paid to check bags recently?

I do have Priority Pass, so it appears that there are lounge options.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't part of the issue whether AF offers more bags (unlikely) or lower fees for intraEU flights, i.e., CDG-LHR, than the charges for long haul TATL to the USA.

5. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So in the end, here's what happened:

- AF claimed they could not interline the bags to AA. Only to Skyteam partners. This made/makes no sense to me as AA was able to interline the bag to AF on the way out, but I don't speak enough French to really argue.

- I was allowed 1 free bag, which in the end was all I needed. Not sure if they weighed it; it was heavy but I wasn't charged.

- I had to clear passport control at LHR - a pain - and then re-check bag with AA

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch, this isn't supposed to happen, especially when it's one ticket. Perhaps you should have asked for a supervisor. It sounds like either the agent didn't know about interlining or assumed that AA was a discount carrier. I guess the good news is that you weren't forced to pay for the bag.