Interline baggage transfer in countries with entry fee

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

We're planning a trip to Chile and Argentina for end of the year. We'r considering flying Delta to SCL to make sure we have lie-flat BE, and take either LAN or Aerolinea to MDZ, EZE and finish the trip at SCL. Really worry that ATL-EZE will still not have lie-flat BE equipment by then.

Since Delta no longer does interline baggage transfer unless they are on the same ticket, in order to retrieve our luggage to re-check at the next airline, will we have to go through immigration/customs and pay entry fee at SCL?

I don't have a problem paying the Chile entry fee since we plan on visiting the country at the end of the trip anyway but want to minimize the amount of time on the ground outbound and as much the pain-in-the-butt-ness as possible.

Thanks!

Ed

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your primary goal is lie flat to South America just take LAN the whole way and credit to AS instead of DL.

3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but I need to burn some DL miles. :)

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that DL has put plans to no longer interline bags on separate tickets on hold. All mention of it has disappeared from DL.dumb.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider the short leg on AR and make it part of the award?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with mattsteg about trying to get it on one PNR. If you do not succeed at that and you end up on separate tix you have to account for the check-in cutoff for the 2nd ticket and also the possibiiy of delays on the first flight. Purposefully booking as a very tight connection is not, IMO, a good idea in such scenarios.

anileze and mattsteg like this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be paranoid, but in general I aim for very generous connections if continuing on on a separate ticket, with exceptions for carriers I am very familiar with and/or hold meaningful status with, and am not checking bags. If on separate tickets, I'd probably plan to spend the day exploring the city before continuing onward.

anileze likes this.
  8. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I got in touched with Delta via Twitter -- the person said DL have interline agreement with Aerolineas Argentinas but not Aero Chile (or LAN since different alliance). But when I asked whether it has to be the same PNR, the person said "to ask at the airport." I can't plan based on "ask at the airport"...lol

9. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call reservations. Sometimes they have a better answer. If you're on ST, should think no issue. With LAN, it is a major carrier. BUT, it could be like US - when you enter you do customs/immigration.

In the alternative, call LAN directly. Maybe they will know. Sad - but possible.