Interline baggage question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by LiveLaughLoveTravel, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LiveLaughLoveTravel
    Original Member

LiveLaughLoveTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Admittedly completely spoiled by living near LAX, I've always flown nonstop so I hadn't researched transfers or interlining baggage until today.

In a few weeks we're flying LAX-CAN C on China Southern (ticketed by China Southern), CAN-HKG C on Dragonair (separate ticket, ticketed by Dragonair)

We have a 4.5 hr layover between the flights, so if we have to collect and recheck bags there's time. I've done as much research as possible and wondering if this is the case: We can most likely check bags at LAX through to HKG and get through boarding passes, and if they can't print through boarding passes at LAX then we could arrive at CAN and go to the transfer check-in?

Thanks in advance anyone!

-Newbie to transferring and interlining bags!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typically speaking, an airline will not interline your bags unless the travel is on the same ITN. If you book separate ITN's with separate airlines (especially outside of an alliance), they're under no obligation to do that transfer and assume that risk for you. Your contract with China Southern is to take you from LAX to CAN, the way you've booked it they have no obligation to check your bags all the way to HKG.

I'm not sure what China Southern's rules are. When I was an agent for Delta years ago, I did manually interline a couple bags, but only after confirming DL's interline agreement with the next carrier and requiring proof of travel documents for that onward segment. That was years ago though, rules are different now.

The same point holds true for your through boarding passes. If your connecting flight is a separate ITN then I'd assume they won't be able to print onward BPs for you either.

3. LiveLaughLoveTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply! :) 101 views later I was beginning to think nobody wanted to help me. I guess I am not too worried and will see how it works out, we have enough time for whatever ends up happening.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's generally how it works. And I do this all the time.

Most airlines will interline bags with most other (non-low cost carrier) airlines, even on separate tickets. Although some like Delta, US Airways, and Alaska are now publishing rules against it. And some have long been difficult, like British Airways not wanting to interline outside of their own alliance on separate tickets for a long time.

I'm not familiar with China Southern and Dragonair's interline agreements, but would guess that they do interline with each other and generally being on same ticket won't matter for that. They won't know of course to do it, you'll have to show them your onward travel confirmation and ask them to do it.

They probably will not be able to print connecting boarding passes, and in fact being on separate tickets it's almost guaranteed that they won't be able to, and you'll pick up onward boarding passes at the transit desk.

I've even interlined bags mid-trip with Cathay Pacific more than once... one time I checked a bag USM-BKK-HKG on Bangkok AIrlines to Cathay Pacific on separate tickets, and in BKK at the transit desk I asked them to pull the bag and tag it onward HKG-ORD-DCA on Cathay and American the next day (overnighting the bag in HKG). No problem. That was about a year ago.

Earlier this year I checked in with SQ and they interlined my bag MLE-SIN (SQ) - HKG (CX) on separate tickets, and at the transit desk in SIN I asked CX to pull the bags and retag them to continue onward HKG-ORD-DCA again. Again, no problem.

It all comes down to whether the airlines have interline baggage agreements, and whether they ave a policy against interlining on separate tickets, but generally I've had no problem with this.

5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And... as you said, if the agent knows how to do it. My days at Delta were old green-screen Deltamatic and it was far from simple. Doable, but not simple. One would hope they've made things like that easier on the agent.

6. LiveLaughLoveTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you thank you!! From all I've read I was hoping this would be the case, sure would be nice and easy. I'll report back in a month so if anyone else searches about China Southern and Dragonair they'll find my answer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. projecteva

projecteva Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I have an upcoming trip from SFO-HKG (SQ) and then connecting on a separate ticket from HKG-TPE, same day, I am assuming they will be nice enough to interline the baggage all the way to TPE? My problem is if I have 3 checked baggage, which I know I will have to pay for the 3rd one in SFO, will they still be able to interline all 3 of them? Thanks for help~

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they interline any of them, they should interline them all I'd think. The outstanding question would be how you'd be charged by the second carrier for any baggage charges. If they're not an alliance partner, they may not even know what those fees are? Gleff might have a better answer for you there, seems he has done this a few times.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For most carriers they'll follow IATA guidelines which is that the baggage rules of the most significant carrier on the itinerary applies. I've never thought about how that rule interacts with interlining on separate tickets however, as I imagine the charges are tied to tickets which would then be split along IATA settlement rules. I admit, baggage charges when interlining on separate tickets is not an issue I've ever thought about!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had experience much like gleff reports. Several times I have originated in Brazil on a carrier with which I have high elite status, thus, three bags, max 32kg each. Never, repeat never, have i been entitled to that on my connecting flights not on the same PNR. I have had my three bags, with one or more right at 32 kg, checked right through to the next flight. Never, ever, has there been any question or issue with entitlements. I'm sure if I asked for retagging or something like that it would not be true any longer, but I do not know, having never done it. I have done AF-EK; JJ-SU and LH-AF IIRC.

11. projecteva

projecteva Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies, looks like no one has done this with bags that they have to pay out of pocket and I can't find any info online, so I guess this is one of those I'll have to find out on my own thing. I suppose the worst that can happen is SQ only tag to HKG, but then I can go to CX transit and show them my bag slips and they should be able to pick them up from baggage claim without me having to go through customs?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not going to happen.

If the bags are only tagged to HKG then you will have to collect them, clear immigration and customs and check them back in again.

13. projecteva

projecteva Active Member

Status Points:
    I have read that it has been done before, do they no longer do that?

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do this all the time AS LONG AS I'M ABLE TO DO IT BEFORE THE FINAL CITY on the bag tag.

So USM-BKK-HKG-ORD with USM-BKK on one airline/ticket, connect to another airline in BKK, bag tagged only to HKG. **IN BANGKOK** I've had success getting the bag pulled and retagged so that I do not have to pick it up in HKG. This is accomplished at the transit desk.

This would not, however, work if I showed up in HKG -- which is the destination the bags are tagged to -- and asked to have it doen there. Since they'd already be sent to baggage claim.

I take that back, it MIGHT well work but I wouldn't count on it, it may help to have status or be a first class passenger when making the request.

I would never bank on this working with a US, South American, or European airline.. but with an Asian airline as a premium cabin passenger I haven't ever been refused.

15. projecteva

projecteva Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Gary! I'll be flying SQ in F then CX in C so I hope they will be nice enough to interline it. Just to make it official I did send a query to SQ via email and this is what I got back:

In reference to your query kindly note, when checking in for the flight at
    the Singapore Airlines counter in San Francisco (SFO), please request the
    check-in staff to tag your bags for your final destination i.e. Taipei
    (TPE) upon showing the flight details of your onward journey. When you
    arrive in Hongkong (HKG), please proceed to the check-in counter of the
    other Airlines (Cathay Pacific) and present your bag receipt to their
    check-in staff.

Please be advised that a thorough check-in is possible only when the
    transit or the layover between two flights is less than twenty-four hours.

Kindly note, as the connecting flight is on a separate ticket we cannot
    guarantee through check-in and we request you to check at the airport.

I hope it goes as smoothly as they wrote ;)