Interline bag UA->QF at SYD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, May 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying to SYD on UA this week and then connecting to a QF international flight out of SYD.

UA interlines with QF but I can't remember if UA stopped their interline practices or not (I don't think so and search didn't come up with anything).

Has anyone interlined a bag from UA to QF traveling through SYD?

I have my e-visa approved just in case I have to enter SYD to collect my bag and then re-check it onto QF. I'm only a little nervous because I just found out that the QF check-in closes 90 minutes before departure so if the immigration queue is very long then I might have an issue making that time.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of key questions - are the two flights on the same reservation? Is it really a QF international flight, as both domestic and Jetstar flights can be out of a different terminal (that requires a 5-10 minute bus ride)?

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two separate tickets.

Yes, it's intl so both flights are in T1 at SYD. It's QF from SYD to NZ.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA can still interline the bags. But they do not have to. Basically depends on the whim of the agent you get at check-in and how proficient they are in SHARES. Good luck.

5. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA should interline to QF - we did this a few years ago with no problem (actually I think it was in reverse - QF to UA). Lately I have only done international UA to domestic QF at SYD (and vice versa) and I never check bags on UA when traveling solo. So I haven't had to wait once I clear immigration. If you fly C/F you will get a fasttrack from UA and clear very quickly. SYD has also started fasttracking Global Entry members but haven't been through that yet.
    QF is pretty strict about the checked bag limits and cutoffs so if you can't interline you may get screwed. On the plus side, there are many flights between SYD-AKL so at least you won't be stuck for too long, particularly as the UA flight arrives early morning.

One thing I do despise about QF is that it is the only airline that forces me to check my 22" carryon. So if you are taking a large bag on UA, be prepared to check it before you go through security at SYD (or before you board). Most annoying.

TravelerRob likes this.