Interesting

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by daboogah, Nov 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got on a UA flight and the entertainment system onboard wasnt working the entire time so the minute I land, there is an apology email there with 3 options. $100 off voucher for domestic travel on UA metal. 10% off for UA metal on international flights and there is an option for 7000 miles.

I fly International 1-2 times a year and mostly to Japan. Domestic is so so. Just enough to usually get me my 50K miles.

question is.. WWUD? grab the miles? take the discount? oh. none of my travel is business. its always just for fun out of my own pocket.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the 100.00 cert.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My opinion is the best bang for the buck is probably going to be the 10% off International travel assuming the eligible fare is more than $1,000. Even if the fare is $1,000, you at least breakeven with the travel voucher option. I'm not a UA guy, so I'm not sure what the value of 7K points are but also, I'm a face value kind of guy. If 7K can get me a round trip ticket somewhere worth $300, then I would go the points route ($300 > $100 > possibly > 10% savings).

daboogah and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd calculate 7k UA at $112. Why might you ask?

RT LAX - NYC = ~$400 or 25k. So ... (7000/25000)*400 = $112.

I know my math sucks but hey that's what I'd do... but even then I'd take $100 cert.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should be what are they worth when you redeem them -- so if you use the one penny per mile rule, 7k miles = $70 and that trip doesn't earn anything -- but one hundred bucks off does.

Anyone want a tickee to see the egress <lol>

DTWBOB

edekba likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the 100.00 cert unless the base fare is over 1000 on your typical international flights and in your case a flight to Japan. It doesn't matter if the AI price is over $1000 if the taxes and fees are a significant portion

NYBanker and daboogah like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A more descriptive title would be helpful for new threads, please.

This is the correct way to think about the offer.

9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, it really all depends on what you spend on a flight. I'd probably take the $100 and use it on an earn and burn type basis. The other option is to see if a sweet premium cabin fare opens up (assuming the voucher doesn't exclude that) at which point your 10% could have a much higher value and you get to treat yourself to a more comfortable flight with bonus miles.

malikguy likes this.
  10. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    i forgot to mention that I am a amex plat and a *a gold so lounges are fine. most of my trips are for fun so i usually stay and hang out with friends as long as possible before I do a home alone through the airport. in the past, i have generally taken the 10% international coupon and since UA keeps messing up my bags, I have over $400 in vouchers for next year.. great ideas and opinions everyone. mahalo~