Interesting move by UA today; I hope AA doesn't match lock-step!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/en/mp/Welcome

UA has made it official, going to four tiers: Premier Silver (25K miles), Premier Gold 50K) , Premier Platinum (75K), and Premier 1K (100K). Actually 5 tiers if you add a "Global Services" (invitation only) across the top, a tier that somehow brings AA and Mr. George Clooney to mind. Anyway, my personal preference would certainly not be that AA move to 4 tiers (this was discussed earlier this summer at length here).

To be fair to UA and CO, UA is also today announcing a liberalized million-miler grid that goes all the way up to lifetime Global Services for 4 million miles lifetime. They are clarifying which miles count, they say that this is the best lifetime structure in the industry, though it certainly is not as liberal as what AA's used to be.

My personal, selfish preference would be that AA not copy all this lockstep and instead stick to what it has announced. Do other AAdvantage elite members have different opinions?

2. They are right in calling it the best lifetime program in the industry (neglecting that the current AA program which ends in December is better). Otherwise, EXP is still better than 1K (as it has been)-- upgrades are more generous, there's no invitation-only tier above you (CK is not an elite tier). I used to think mid-tier on UA/CO was better than PLT on AA because of their upgrade scheme, but now, with the significant reduction in RDM bonus on UA for mid-tiers, that might be a wash, if not worse.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    This basically made the redemption charts more expensive for mid-tier members... Upgrades are getting worse even for 1K. Not fun.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The lifetime Global Service and spousal benefits on the MM program look great. Definitely a contrast to the changes AA made to their lifetime program.

Not a UA flier so it doesn't effect me much, but do we really need new acronyms to remember!? PQM? GPU? :rolleyes:

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the American public loves and wants "CHANGE". :rolleyes:

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Answer: NAH.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Change like lifetime EXP, not new acronyms from UA. ;)

jbcarioca and Jimgotkp like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking more like UGH.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess asking Maya at the OW Mega DO might be something to consider. I'm sure every frequent flier program from SkyPesos to AAdvantage will go through UA/CO's change. Never know if AA changes a few things they had planned! ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    David, they look great with the possible exception of one troubling line in the UA details this morning. That line says that effective 1/1/12, to qualify for "any" Premier status, one must fly at least four paid flights per annum on UA (including Continental), Copa or Copa Airlines Colombia. If the word "any" were interpreted to include the new lifetime statuses, that would be troubling. I've posted a question on the UA Mileage Plus milepoint thread trying to get clarification.

jbcarioca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's not forget that DL has had four published tiers since the merger, although the top one, DM, is at 125K status miles and earns 125% bonus miles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it's really fine print, it was printed in the same size and noted with all the other changes in that thread. I doubt they'd require 4 flights per year to maintain lifetime status though. If that was the case it's significant enough of a change that I think they'd note it applied either in the section about the required 4 flights or in the new lifetime status information.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have changed "fine print" to "details" in my original post.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. But DL also gives 100% bonus for mid-tier. The change from UA I fear the most becoming industry-standard is the mid-tier bonus drop.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's all semantic really :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, UA is granting one-time 'update' to everyone's MM status to include all EQMs earned to date. Wouldn't that make it pretty much equivalent to the "currently scheduled to end" AA MM program?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    legalalien, I may be missing something in your post, but no, I don't see the equivalency that you do. If EQMs means 'elite qualifying miles,' that is quite different from AA's "currently scheduled to end" program that includes non-air stuff as well - rental-car miles, hotel miles, credit-card miles, yada yada yada (I think it even includes miles AA threw in when they messed up and badly delayed your flight, etc.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I revise my statement to say, "bring it closer" instead of "make it pretty much equivalent." :oops:

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. No, not even close. The current AA program allows you to be lifetime platinum without ever setting foot in an AA aircraft. It's by far the most generous program at present (and until Dec 1).

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    OT, but did anyone notice that the passport in the photo on UA's page (the one the OP linked to) is not a US passport? I guess it doesn't really matter, but it is "technically" a US airline.

jbcarioca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  22. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    If AA is smart, they won't match UA in the lower bonus miles for non-top tier members and grab a ton of UA flyers who fly under 100k/yr.

23. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not trying to drive this thread into a ".bomb complaints" thread, but if you scroll down on that page, under "Our new look is taking off at Chicago O'Hare", the picture is actually of a Big Ben in London.

24. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Well, airlines make mistakes. I still remember the national newspaper ad (either WSJ or USAToday, if I recall) AA ran years back trying to curry favor with the public about ongoing labor negotiations with the pilots. Trouble was, the AA ad talked about the "Air Line Pilots Association" (ALPA) , when AA pilots aren't represented by them, but by another union, APA (Allied Pilots Association). In other words, whoever approved the ad didn't know which union the company was negotiating with. Oops.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually plan on asking Maya about any efforts toward doing that at the launch party

jbcarioca likes this.