Interesting... Hilton is letting Google crawl some files they shouldn't

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gconnery, Mar 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just googling around with hilton and a particular Nxxx number I happen to know, looking for others, and I found some .xls files on Hilton's internal site that list corporate numbers. Of course you can't click through since you have to be logged in (if you're not Google's crawler anyway) but Google will happily summarize a couple of lines of the file for you... If you're smart you can figure out how to advance through the file line by line...

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SRP Program table?

Looks like Hilton's IT team needs to fix up their robots.txt file...

gconnery likes this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    In English, non tech terms, what does this mean?

gconnery likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like Hilton's IT team should learn what should and shouldn't be facing the internet :)

If they have the same servers doing internet / intranet duties, then someone needs to get fired.

gconnery and Sammich like this.
  5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    That too :p

gconnery likes this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be a yes.

N9630083 / 0560020636 Mid American Energy Holdings Company

Sammich likes this.
  7. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might that explain why the corporate codes I have been using for almost a decade are no longer valid? :mad:

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely? If you're talking about the MVP codes that are getting harder to use, I actually can't get those using this method. And they've been widely known for ages.

Plus all the ones I tried still work.

You understand that these deals are renegotiated each year right? If the company whose code you were using switched hotel chains it might stop working. Or moved. These codes are generally location specific.

Don't be one of those guys.

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a cautionary note.
    Some codes require identification to be presented and some do not qualify for points or stay credits.
    Stay cheap but stay safe!

gconnery likes this.
  11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm not using any of this. I just saw a post somebody else put up about the PR13CB rate and thought I'd try the same trick and see what it turned up. In this case I could actually click on the cached version of the document and look at it. Hilton just isn't doing a very good job of putting these things behind the firewall.

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely outsourced their IT/website team to a third party company but they do the content updates themselves. (Non-technical users)

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton has a huge site especially if you consider all the booking engine underneath that spans through their various brands.
    Would they not keep it in house for faster and better respond, control etc?

Sammich likes this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Costs and Time. You'd be surprised how many large financial institutions eg HSBC, TD (Canada), BoA outsource their IT team to a third party. It's just much easier to do it this way than spend time hiring qualifying individuals then specify project objectives.

Downside is definitely lack of response and control, seen most infamously with the initial launch of Obamacare's site as well as Maryland (?)'a internal healthcare system. (Which fired x company and ended up hiring Deloitte)

But most businesses and organizations claim that Costs outweigh the benefits of response and control.

WilliamQ likes this.
  15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    And... its gone. They finally noticed I guess.

Sammich likes this.
  16. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone got fired :p

WilliamQ likes this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope not unless it was a (outsourced) company who promised efficiency, security, redundancy, scalability etc.
    In this case, only "codes" were "leaked" and not customer information.
    I doubt if any of these codes were BIG secrets and also, folks have always been known to use codes "illegally" anyway. :p

18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    To add on, Internet is a huge double edged sword. While it provides great visibility for a company if used correctly, it could also be a huge liability.

If you build a company in the real world, leaving a door open (unlocked) does not give anyone the right to intrude in. If you had secured all the ground floor windows and doors, leaving a window opened in the 33th storey does not seem to be quite a risk.

Now, if you build a virtual company (online portal), if you do not close every door or window, it is your fault if Google or Bing sends in their "bot armies" and starts shifting through the rooms and cabinets and what nots and then show it to the world. In fact, if a thief comes in through the sewage pipes (real world) or OS bug (online), its likely not as bad for the real world then the online breach.

Such a different concept.

19. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're overdoing it a little. I mean I don't create web sites or operate a server of any kind but even *I* have heard about the robots.txt file:

http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html

Seriously. A text file containing two lines telling all crawlers to keep out? How hard is that?

20. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand if a company wants to put corporate info and their public website on the same server. But yes robots.txt is not excusable. It's a basic concept in every web design.

On a side note...it took 17 hours for Yahoo Mail to patch a vulnerability revealed yesterday....

21. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was a little pissed about Yahoo for a while on Tuesday? too, but then I read the really decent coverage of HeartBleed on the WashingtonPost that revealed I number of things I hadn't known. For example, the early reporting suggested that Google and Facebook for example weren't affected but in fact they were but got an early heads up, which Yahoo didn't. So they managed to patch their servers before the issue went public. I think a few others also got an early heads up the previous week--CloudFlare, Akamai. A few others I think.
    Some really nice reporting. Convinced me to donate some money to the OpenSSL effort too.

WilliamQ likes this.