Interesting call today

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by justplanenuts, Jul 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. justplanenuts

justplanenuts Active Member

Status Points:
    I had an interesting call today from one of the EXP CSR's. Not sure of his exact job title or function, but he was reaching out to me, and I imagine others, to see how things were going (I'm a newly minted EXP, aka UA bailer). He asked if I understood the 30 and 55k requirements for SWU's and re-qualifying, answered some questioned I had and even walked though my next few flights to see if I was on track to meet the 30k for the SWU's. All in all a very pleasant and welcome call. No sales pitch, chatted about the industry and some of the struggles and even the upcoming merger ideas. I'm sure he's going through a list of names and I'm one of many, but when will more companies realize this stuffs works. He even left me his name and number to call if I had any issues. My experiences so far with AA have not been perfect, but who is. Bravo AA for a small gesture that goes a long way.

rwoman, Travelsavant, gleff and 8 others like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the same call two weeks ago. Asked if I'd received X, Y, and Z benefits in the mail recently. The only thing I hadn't gotten was the GoGo WiFi passes, and she said she'd look into it. Just arrived yesterday. So, a delay, but at least they were calling to make sure I got everything.

Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  3. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    nice to see that airlines are taking the "zappos approach" to customer care :)

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    This attention to small gestures extends to in-flight service as well, in my experience. I've been thanked by FAs for my business on a regular basis as an EXP, but I don't recall UA FAs thanking me for being 1k. Ever.

5. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll readily admit I am jealous. Wish us lowly Golds would get a personal call. :p

6. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is also a new EXP, but I don't think we got any phone call. What's the 30k 55k for SWU requirement? I don't recall hearing about that...

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is your wife an EXP because she status matched her UA 1K status with AA? Or did she earn her EXP the old fashioned way?

The information being discussed above is only for UA status matchers.

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a phone call as well. Being proactive is so unusual for an airline that it really stood out to me!

9. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do these calls come from a blocked number or a TX one?

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine showed as an 800 number.

Travelsavant likes this.
  11. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine too; got the call this morning (Saturday - wow!). In all the years I've been a loyal UA1K, they have never proactively called me to see if I'm a happy customer. So yes, AA impressed me with just a phone call. I did the UA status match with AA, but also hit 100k this month. Called to thank me for my business & to see how AA was for me. So far I am loving it. Personnel, across the board, have been cheerful, friendly, & helpful. Flights have been on time, fares have been good-to-great & award miles(Hawaii at Christmas) was easy to get & book.

AA is going through bankruptcy & their future is uncertain; must be tough for all AA employees right now, but you would never know it from their service with a smile attitudes. I'm a happy AA customer now but when they start flying E+, ah that will be sweet indeed!

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see AA reaching out to take care of customers!! :D

13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I concur with the sentiments expressed, remember that pretty much every US legacy airline has been through Chapter 11 at one time or another.

14. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a voice massage a few days ago from a AA CSR also. She sounded very nice and wanted to make sure I got the X-Y-Z benefits also. And then left her name and number and asked me to call her is I had any questions or issues.

I give a big thumbs up to this kind of service but, as was mentioned a while ago, we will likely not get this next year as we become “normal” EXP. Regardless, it’s little things like this which I appreciate.

But, if I was home to answer her call I would had been honest and tell her I haven’t flown AA yet and likely won’t until my matched EXP status is over next February. I actually declined their offer to match once they told me I was one day too late to get the 8 SWU. So, I am using my UA SWU’s until early next year and would think they could understand.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm amazed every day how advanced our technology is becoming. Did you leave a generous tip? :)

16. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL... too early in the morning to type, but hmmmm, sound interesting:D

17. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us multiple MM current EXPs don't even get a call. Don't be too bothered :)