Interesting article: Gogo and browser selection earns discount?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Switch2, Aug 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's kind of messed up though... but I can see how gogo should have done better than just rely on the user-agent.

And it's ridiculous though... I guess they figure a laptop would use more data than a mobile device so they'd charge more for the connection? In today's smartphone age that doesn't even make sense though, and it makes even less sense when you look at mobile large-screen browsers like those in tablets.

Of course no good can come from this though... either prices will go up for mobile devices or they'll implement some kind of metered approach at a fixed price.

3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    that link is no longer active. I guess Gogo and/or Google (the blogger's employer) didn't like it...

Sunshine7 and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it's too late now. You can't put that genie back in the bottle so gogo will need to figure out what to do other than relying on this very simple identification method.

Sadly, the safest thing for them to do is just charge more for mobile devices. It's bad but it would mitigate the potential revenue loss from people doing this on non-mobile.