InterContinental's Royal Ambassadors Have Been Cut Down in Vegas

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by uggboy, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    InterContinental's Royal Ambassadors Have Been Cut Down in Vegas:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Last month, the erstwhile Points Guy aka Brian Kelly let us in on a little-known perk of InterContinental Hotels' upper echelon loyalty program tier, Royal Ambassadors--raiding the minibar.
    Brian demonstrated the perk while in Vegas at The Palazzo, which is actually now a part of InterContinental. Because he's a Royal Ambassador, that means he's allowed to clear out the minibar totally free of charge and yes, that includes all the alcohol.
    While we debated the ethics of doing this sort of pillaging, it turns out the powers that be at The Palazzo and The Venetian (also a part of InterContie) took notice of this free-for-all. And then effectively put a stop to it.
    Commenter RicGarrido let us know of the new minibar policy for Royal Ambassadors when staying in Vegas:

And now the RA mini-bar policy has has been restricted for The Venetian and The Palazzo in Las Vegas with Royal Ambassador complimentary mini-bar limited to $100 per stay in consumed items.
    "Royal Ambassador Benefits:
    Please be aware that all Royal Ambassador member benefits apply at these InterContinental Alliance Resorts with the exception of:
    · Free Internet: Internet is included as part of the daily resort fee of your stay at The Venetian or The Palazzo.
    · Mini Bar: As a Royal Ambassador member, you will receive a $100 credit toward mini-bar beverages per stay."

Well, so much for that! We floated this back to Brian and we were all ready to fire up a petition, or at least a grumpy Tweet, but he calmly responded that "$100 is still generous." And you know what? He's right. Honestly, how much can one really order out of the minibar? We're usually set with a Coke, Pringles and some Snickers so we will probably be well-satiated with $100 worth of goodies. But we will have to cap the number of Thunder from Down Under dancers we bring back to our room.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...Royal_Ambassadors_Have_Been_Cut_Down_in_Vegas

2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not good at all.....

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

sobore, JohnDeere19 and uggboy like this.
  3. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its a stupid policy if you ask me if you stay one night you receive a 100 dollar credit stay
    Stay ten nights receive a credit of ten dollars per day or 100 dollars for the entire stay(roll eyes)
    Great value still for a one night stay lousy for longer stays

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought so too, would have believed into unlimited RA benefits too!

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ideal for short stays, indeed, it discourages longer stays, a sad tale // policy here!

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per stay is the silly part...imo, it should an amount per day with a minimum per stay (i.e. $25/day, $100 minimum), if they want to cap it.

Kalboz, uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  7. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the inflated drink prices at the mini-bar, $100 is definitely not THAT generous, especially on a multi-night stay.

man on the move., Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... it's somewhat generous though because it's better than nothing, but I can understand from the hotel point of view how they want to stick it to people that raid the minibar out of a sense of "entitlement" -- it's like those people at the lounge that take all the snacks :)

The Vegas minibars are stacked relatively nicely too, so it's even more noticeable for the hotel. I make it a point to take pictures of minibar price lists just so I can laugh about it later. When I was at the Willard in DC I saw M&Ms for $8, trail mix for $10 and a bottle of Fiji water for $7.

9. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's just Las Vegas properties and it truly stays there while remaining unlimited elsewhere, I see little serious issue. Though I agree $100 per stay is very limiting if you're staying for more than two days.

That said, I am disappointed in individuals exploiting this benefit. Some of these individuals have bemoaned others not following the rules of various programs, be it other members or the program representatives at properties or on the phone. Yet some of these same individuals freely broke the rules themselves - it's clear in the T&C's that this Royal Ambassador benefit is for the member only. Bragging about breaking this rule probably didn't bring about its demise but it certainly didn't help.

11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if they offered that as a benefit in the first place they should be aware of those who would use it heavy, I'm not talking about exploiting, but who doesn't like to make a Drink Party with friends in the room before heading out? There are a lot of reasons for that, and I think this is a big devaluation for the incentive of staying there. My next trip to Vegas will be next december, I would stay in Venetian, but now, I'll probably stay in the new holiday Inn. The cost/benefits of Palazzo/Venetian isn't worth to me anymore, since I'll be spending 5 nights in Vegas!

uggboy likes this.
  12. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I think others have been getting these e-mails today. It looks like it's definitely true. I just got this for my stay coming up in two weeks.

My two cents is that it's not a big deal. I was definitely looking forward to enjoying free drinks every night before going out, but other than that all the RA benefits are still there. I paid for Prestige so there will still be free food and some free drinks in the evening. I'll save the $100 for a bottle of champagne on the two nights we plan on club hopping. I hope the upgrade is at least to a high room with a great view and I'll still be able to check out late if I want. I'll just have to save my real raiding of the mini bar for my next IC stay later next month. I'd most likely still stay at the Palazzo even if I wasn't an RA.

man on the move. and uggboy like this.
  13. danray

danray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying on 2 reward nights at the Palazzo in January. Does anyone know if I would still receive any RA benefits?