Intercontinental Willard DC

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by GoodBoy, Sep 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Intercontinental Willard DC

PC/Ambassador Status RA

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes, very

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked three nights on points, 120K, it was a last minute decision to get out of NY, we lost water supply due to Hurricane Irene. Booked a Standard King (asking $340), and at the front desk was upgraded to the Willard Room, explained there were five of us, they upgraded to Executive Suite, when we went up to view it wasn't as nice as previous stay so asked what else they may have available (the property was very quiet), then offered an Oval Suite, 1010, a name suite on the tenth floor, very nice and very happy with the upgrade. The duty manager started suggesting a $300 supplement after the fact and we completed that conversation with a prompt handshake, the suite cost 40K points per night.

How are the rooms?

1550 sft very nice two mini-bars re stocked daily, two c.60 inch LCD TV's, large dinning room, oval lounge and small kitchen, wet bar etc, with extensive views, of the Washington Monument and down Pennsylvania ave towards the Capitol but not of the Capitol building.

How is the exec lounge?

No lounge at the Willard unfortunately.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:

Everything, great upgrade, beautiful historic building, excellent location, friendly and efficient staff, Moet in the mini bar, Cafe Du Parc very nice meals and next door in the more formal rest alfresco dinning

Bad:

Nothing. Although suggestions for alternative to $39 valet parking would be good. I am sure there are better less expensive options, I just didn't investigate options.

Would you return?

Yes definitely

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic review, thanks for sharing, always very enjoyable!:) What about the 300$ supplement, how came this about and what was the outcome? Thanks again!

About Again and GoodBoy like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a nice hotel. I was there in April and couldn't be happier, although I agree that the cost of valet is outrageous.

Then again it's par for the course for that type of hotel in DC or NY.

About Again, GoodBoy and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outrageous indeed!:eek:

About Again likes this.
  5. after showing me the Oval Suite and accepting we went to the front desk together to get the keys, it was then that he raised the $300 supplement that I politely declined, but accepted the suite.

About Again and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent choice!:)

Thanks for the reply and insights!

About Again and GoodBoy like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This hotel is so weird and inconsistent. They used to be great, regardless of method of payment including points, an executive suite at least was a gimme. New GM and lots of reports of literally no benefits on award stays, including no minibar and no upgrade. So quite lucky I think unless they've seen the error of their ways? Regardless congratulations on a great upgrade and glad you enjoyed your stay, and would love to hear if others are having good RA experiences here on points again!

8. Gary, it's interesting I had heard all the negative reports over the past six months re RA benefits not being forthcoming and the new GM's policy etc, as mentioned this stay was not really planned and very impromptu as a result of Irene. The day after we settled in I got online and read reviews as at that stage whilst getting the upgrade and getting verbal confirmation at check in that all RA benefits would be applied notwithstanding it being a point stay, we hadn't received letter, fruit, welcome gift etc which I raised with the front desk later on our second day and quickly received fruit and a bottle of red. One of the most recent reviews on FT stated all very positive and that all minibar incl snacks was covered, I haven't had the non beverages for sometime at any properties, and quite surprised to read that, I didn't indulge in the snacks, but on checkout without me questioning, all mini bar was taken off, no amendments to bill at all. We also watched three movies and were only charged for one. It may well be that there was such negative press in the forums that management may have had a change of heart in respect of how they treat RA's on points stays or otherwise. Either way I think they've made the right call.

About Again and uggboy like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My stay was a paid stay and booked through Virtuoso, so that probably had something to do with my experience. I have however heard/read about the inconsistency with honoring status, but I'm glad I haven't run into it yet. :)

10. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any more recent experiences here to share?

We're going to DC in March and are booked here using a BOGO. I can't decide whether to book a higher level room in hopes for a great upgrade (thinking of booking a Junior Suite) -- but on the other hand, don't want to waste too much money if they aren't going to upgrade beyond a certain level. When we've stayed here in the past and I forget the room type we were given, though we always booked the cheapest and got that same room; it came with 2 bathrooms, a sitting area with dining for 4, etc.

Of course, I can (and probably will ;)) email the hotel to ask -- but was curious about anything recent anyone might have to share?

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here three times in the past 12 months. Every time booked cheapest and every time we got a Willard Room. It's not a bad room, but at best it can classify as an "Executive Room." Service has been good and all other RA benefits were met, so I didn't bother much, but it was annoying hearing all the better upgrade stories.

I have a few stays coming up this summer and I think I'm going to book a Willard Room to see if we can get something better than a single room.

If you don't mind dropping an extra $100, go for the Willard and see what you can get.

TheBeerHunter and GoodBoy like this.
  12. they do full mini bar inc snacks for RA's at the Willard

13. i think you're better booking the cheapest, see what upgrade they give you and then if you want to go higher offer them a surcharge, i think that would be a better financial result, and you can compare the numbers, based on a double level upgrade, and the $ costs for the suite you want

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that the cheaper rooms at the Willard are small. Also, IIRC, only certain room categories (Executive?) are equipped with coffee makers and they have refused my request for a coffee maker in my room.

GoodBoy, sobore and TheBeerHunter like this.
  15. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've emailed the hotel asking very specifically what upgrade we would get if booking Willard or Junior Suite. I'll post the reply if/when I get one.

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We've had good luck with upgrades in the past -- but considering the more recent posts regarding some change in policy, I am more concerned than I have been in the past about expectations -- which is why I'm considering booking a much better room to start with. But of course, if they won't further upgrade because I am technically in a suite (albeit "junior") already, I'd be ticked off about that, too!

GoodBoy likes this.
  17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I heard back -- was told booking Willard will get Junior Suite, Junior Suite will get Executive Suite.

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. jumbooze

jumbooze Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, just booked The Willard on an AMB BOGO Voucher (cheapest room, now see listed on reservation as DELUXE KING ROOM),
    I'm not interested in a suite (traveling alone),
    but I would like a room with a nice view since it's my first time.

Any pointers as to what room / facing what direction I should ask for?

19. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in the Adams suite after booking a standard room. It was a one night stay with late checkin and early check out before Christmas. Arrived around midnight out at 6 am, my flight from Beijing was a little late (6 hrs) and I missed the planned connection.

Adams suite has a great view towards the White House in one direction and capital in the other. No idea what a suite like that normally costs, but I had a glass of champaign and went to sleep.

Sometimes it seems to depend on what's happening in congress, when they are out of session there are more Willard rooms and jr suites available. When in session sometimes only big suites... I have had the Jefferson, Adams x 2, and Lincoln. RA is worth it just for any one of these visits! Glad I made the trek from Dulles!

About Again likes this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from an overnight stay here. Booked two rooms through Virtuoso and everything was -- as always -- excellent.

We got both rooms upgraded to high floor / monument view on the 8th floor -- not suites, but very nice nonetheless. Room service was excellent for late lunch and breakfast and the Virtuoso amenities took care of all the incidentals.

My only real gripe was that when we arrived back from dinner (by cab) the valet guys were standing around and did not approach us to assist -- to me that's not a big deal, to the wife who likes the whole "open my door" thing, and at a hotel like this, it seemed a little off-putting. Other than that, the Keurig coffee maker wasn't working on our room, although I didn't really mind that all that much.

21. jumbooze

jumbooze Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the valet guys varies, since when I was there they even greeted me by surname (only staying the weekend) and I saw the guy from the check-in so I reckon he passed on my name but it shows the effort they make.

About Again likes this.
  22. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    good to know that, thks