Intercontinental Westminister Expected to Open in Late November 2012

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Jimgotkp, Oct 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

We mentioned in our last round-up of London hotel news that the InterContinental Westminsteris back on our 2012 to-watch list, having moved up its opening date forward to November 30.

As you walk in, there will be a concierge lounge on the left, where guests can set up an appointment and sit down for help in organizing their stay. And it doesn’t stop there: we lovedInterContinental’s concierge app already two years ago, but these days you can also use it tovideo chat before you arrive and secure those hard-to-get restaurant reservations.
    Up a few steps is the triangular marble lobby, dominated by a huge skylight. Art will be a major focus in the public spaces, with a sculpture to take center stage in the lobby and a wall relief of Westminster planned behind reception. Most of the ground floor is taking up by food & beverage. With a separate entrance, the Blue Boar Smokehouse & Bar will bring some much-needed spark to this corner of St James’s and aims to draw locals as much as hotel guests. Emmeline’s will be a lounge with a twist, with Tim Burton-esque murals, creating a through-the-looking-glass feel.

We peeked inside a Classic and Club InterContinental room, as well as a One-Bedroom suite and the top-of-the-line Penthouse. All rooms will have a neutral palette, with marble floor entrances, wood paneling, and a flat screen TV hidden behind a smoke glass panel. Carpets have a fingerprint-like pattern, a reference to New Scotland Yard next door. Most come with a separate rain shower and soaking tub.

The Penthouse suite is more a swank loft apartment, located in the eaves of the building on the sixth floor. In standard form, it comes as a one bedroom, but can be easily extended to create a multi-room spread. The shower was so big there was room for a tiled bench inside. The raw space looked really interesting, so we’re curious to see what the end result will be.

Best of all, there will be complimentary WiFi in all rooms and throughout the building.Hallelujah!

Online reservations are currently accepted from next year, but we'd expect these to be moved up as well; rates for a Classic room start in the £225 ($360) range on a weekend.

Information from: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...InterContinental_Westminster_Opens_Next_Month

edekba and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL when i first saw the title I thought why the hell in Westminster? (Thinking it was the Westminster in Orange County, California)

Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be their second IC in London after the Park Lane property, the IC Westminster will be located in a former hospital and it's neighbor is the New Scotland Yard. We've long waited for this opportunity, a great property in the making and as stated WIFI will be free too. I'm glad that IC has two properties again in London.

Jimgotkp and edekba like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D:):D:):D

Jimgotkp and edekba like this.
  5. Thanks for the update.
    I tried to book it last week for a stay over the Xmas holidays but it still wasn't taking reservations until about mid January if I remember correctly. I'm now booked at the Park Lane which is not too shabby itself but will try and book the new one again.

uggboy likes this.
  6. We always thought Southern Californians lived in their own little world......now we know for sure:D

edekba and uggboy like this.
  7. Starting my first stay at the IC Westminster. got the usual upgrade to their best suite So far very impressed with the place. Lounge access is included for RA's which is different from the Hyde Park IC. Lounge has nice afternoon tea. Their lounge breakfast is very good as is their afternoon tea (Monday to Friday only).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  8. sosphistocles

sosphistocles Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did you get an upgrade to their best suite? Because of RA?