InterContinental The Barclay New York

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Dublin_rfk, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    As former Priority Club Platinum and this stay is a good example of why I am a former Plat.
    The Barclay came very heavily recommended so with a week in town for a tradeshow I booked in. Troubles from the start, five rooms with four to eight nights by employee name. The response from The Barclay four rooms for eight nights. Three on line attempts to correct and two telephone calls later I confirmed the correct reservations. On check in three attempts with two key card each time before they changed the room. First thing in the room the $14.00 a day internet does not work, two trips to the front desk and two telephone calls later the internet is working. Total time from lobby entry to functional room THREE hours! Next morning no internet one call and one visit to the front desk on my way out it was corrected. The front desk apologized profusely every time I came down to complain. Yes they apologized everytime, did they fix the issue, no. Every day there was a disconnect with the internet. I will admit that I was “comp’ed” my internet fees for my troubles. Yes $14.00 a day for having to deal with a issues EVERYDAY that should not of been an issue.
    I could have stayed in a Motel6 with a better quality room.
    PS: as of today nine days latter no record of the stay on my account!

2. I disagree with your comments. I was there reently and none of that happened to me

3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:

Don't get me started on the Barclay! Just be glad your not an RA or you would have had to complain just to get the benefits you were due. Seems every time I stay at the Barclay it generates a complaint letter. And the one thing they are good at is apologizing

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My reaction to the place is 'Meh' as a Royal Ambassador. Plenty of suites and so good shot at getting a suite. No lounge. The hotel is old, it isn't bad but isn't special either, it's also large and busy.

I stayed there and was woken up at like 4am by the phone, which turned out to be some sort of hotel recording. But the hotel "checked their records and determined no such call took place." Umm, yeah, I was lying for some reason.

I wouldn't agree they're good at apologizing. I did write in and got an apology e-mail from a manager eventually however.

Still an RA, I don't really get tempted often to stay there.

5. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Even as an Ambassador they do what they can every time I am there to get me a jr. or full suite. They might know I was RA a couple years and used to put about 30-40 nights a year there when the Waldorf towers were full, but I don't know that their CRM system has that much detail. Some of the Ambassador checkin people like ? Summer or Annamarie are great and go out of their way to make stays low trouble or stress.

I can't say I have had the internet problems, but the last time I was there Internet was free even for lowely Ambassadors. Food isn't great, but with a F&F rate and a weekend free night, it is still one of my goto places. Although, gleff is making me think about that place he seems to be frequenting more and more. :-0

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll be back in April and in May.. At this point I'm like, why bother with anywhere else given price (sub-$300 recently)/quality mix.