Intercontinental Suites Cleveland Review

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by iceman77_7, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Background: I needed another IHG stay to unlock my final case in IHG's "Crack the Case" promo. I live in Cleveland, (random fact alert!) which is home to the Intercontinental hotel properties closest to each other in the world (about 1/4 mile apart). I figured it would be a nice cheap little stay-cation to stay at the IC Suites while cracking my last case. I do not have Ambassador status with IC, only PC Gold (essentially nothing).

Booking/room rate: I booked at the Intercontinental Suites because it was about half the cost of the Intercontinental Hotel and Conference Center. I was able to choose from a wide selection of room types (including suites) for $81, which is pretty standard for the IC Suites. I decided on a one king room with wet bar.

Arrival and Check-In: The only parking option is valet, which costs $16 with unlimited in/out privileges. The area immediately surrounding the hotel, aside from the Cleveland Clinic itself, is one of the shabbier parts of Cleveland and there is little to no street parking anyways. Valet was painless, but I was extremely disappointed with the check-in process. When I walked into the lobby, there was no guests at the check-in desk. However, in the end, I waited 15 minutes before I was checked in. One agent was on the telephone while the other was dealing with a guest who needed a pick up from the courtesy shuttle. Apparently the courtesy driver went to the pick up site, didn't find the guest, and came back to the hotel already. The courtesy driver refused to speak to the guest directly, which would have obviously helped with the subsequent pick-up. My presence 6 feet away from the check in counter was not even acknowledged. In any case, I felt that it was unacceptable that I had to wait 15 minutes to check-in when there wasn't even any one else in line in front of me! Check-in itself was smooth, I found out that my room was upgraded to a standard suite (apparently I had booked one of the four non-suite rooms in the entire hotel because I assumed all rooms were suites). I was offered and accepted a 2 PM late check-out.

Room: First off, I haven't stayed at an IC in a couple years, but the room key was a snazzy proximity sensor as opposed to the key card swipe that I'm used to. Probably not a big deal to you frequent travelers, but I thought it was cool. The room itself was clean, at the standard I would expect for an Intercontinental. It consisted of a living room area with a relatively large flat panel HDTV on the wall (but it broadcast only in SD, which is a pet peeve of mine: if hotels get an HDTV, they should have HD cable), pull-out couch, recliner, coffee table, microwave, nice mini-fridge, coffee maker. In addition to the living room, there was a bathroom with a separate sink area, as well as the bedroom. The sink "room" is accessible from either the bedroom or the living room. The bedroom had a duplicate large flat panel HDTV broadcasting in SD, as well as another recliner, and the king bed had the standard IC down comforter.

Check-out: There was one guest checking out when I arrived back in the lobby the next day. However, like check-in, I again had to wait an unusually long and in my opinion, unacceptable 15 minutes. I'm not high maintenance by any means, but I find it disappointing that I have to wait 15 minutes to check-in and check out of an Intercontinental hotel property when there are 0 or 1 customers in front of me.

Overall: A decent room for the price, but the customer service touches were definitely lacking. I would only return in the future if I needed a cheap mattress run or something similar. If you want a suite at the lowest rate, be sure to book the "Deluxe King with Living Room", "1 King Suite Wheelchair Access" (it's what I ended up getting upgraded to, the only difference was extra long window curtain handles), or "King Suite with Wheelchair Roll in Shower".

I'm sure I'm missing other details, so please feel free to ask any questions and I can fill in any blanks. I also stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel and Conference Center (i.e. the other IC in Cleveland) approximately 12 months ago as an IC Ambassador on a Pointbreaks stay, and can gladly answer questions about that as well. I just don't remember the minutia of the stay to make a complete review. Thanks for reading!

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't made it to either of the Cleveland ICs yet, though I've often thought of doing a mileage run there for a long weekend and testing them out. Which is the better IC, do you think?

uggboy and iceman77_7 like this.
  3. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Short answer: IC Hotel & Conference Center on Carnegie Avenue.

Long answer: From a customer service standpoint, the IC Hotel and Conference Center is excellent. I remember the first time I stayed there, I checked in at around 9 PM and was greeted by name by a completely different desk agent that I had never seen before the next morning. It actually slightly creeped me out, but I was floored by the attentiveness to such detail.

The only real advantage to the IC Suites is the guaranteed suite (as long as you don't accidentally book a non-suite like me for the same price as a suite) and the almost guaranteed ridiculously low price (F&F rate is $61, AP is $89). Perfect for a mileage/mattress run. If you have Ambassador status, are traveling on business and the ~$60 price difference between hotels is no big deal, or are going to book a suite anyways, I would stay at the IC Hotel & Conference Center. The IC Suites is also less convenient if you have business at the Cleveland Clinic. Although it's on the CCF campus, it's a bit away from the main hospital buildings.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Might try this as I break journey soon driving to Michigan from New York. I'm wondering if a 650 mile drive in one day is too much.

uggboy and alex0683de like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! I would consider that too much for one day unless you really, really like driving (or you drive really, really fast!)

uggboy likes this.
  6. Yes. I've decided overnight to fly to Chicago and drive the 170 or so miles from there.
    Be easier for my BA flight in the evening later in the week as I won't so much be in the lap of the gods for O'Hare from Grand Rapids connecting onto my BA flight which is alway dodgy on a separate ticket.

uggboy and alex0683de like this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here this past weekend and had no issues. Was checked in and out immediately upon my arrival. I actually liked the location (as opposed to the other IC) because it is on Euclid and there's a Grey Health Line stop right at the hotel which can get you into downtown in about 20-minutes, or connect to the airport Red Line. Also in the other direction it takes you to the University Circle district which is where museums and art galleries, botanical gardens and other tourist attractions can be found. (Also did two nights downtown at the CP to go to the ballpark and RnR HoF, and had previously stayed at HIX downtown, both of which are good examples of their brands.)

BTW I would think the IC Coex and IC Grand in Seoul are closer together than the two in Cleveland.

uggboy likes this.