Intercontinental Montreal

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by GoodBoy, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Intercontinental Montreal

PC/Ambassador Status RA

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes, very

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Had won two nights in the Presidential Suite via Princes's Charity Trust
    Booked basic suite for two additional nights and Simon Martin, the Room Director kindly upgraded to PS for the four night stay.

How are the rooms?

120 sqm very nice three mini-bars re stocked daily, two LCD TV's, large dinning room and kitchen, wet bar etc, half round lounge room with extensive city views.

How is the exec lounge?

The Lounge was very good, we were given breakfast vouchers and the full breakfast in the restaurant was very good.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:

Everything, the concierge Chantel Aubry babysat our three children and did an excellent job, she really put her heart and soul into her job and it shows. She does private concierge services in addition to her work with IC, highly recommend.

Bad:

Nothing. The staff were very helpful. The Sales Director phoned to say hello and welcome, "if anything we can do....."

Would you return?

Yes we will be over the summer.

cennas likes this.
  2. I frequent that hotel regularly and always enjoy my stays there;was just there this past week and got a nice corner suite as my U/G. I am RA. In the spring through fall seasons the walks to old Montreal are very nice and it is still close to downtown shopping.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice review Thanks!

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  4. DoubleJ
    Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it's been some time since my last stay at this property, they did take good care of me when I was there. Booked a deluxe room and was upgraded (as an RA) to the Atrium Suite.

Tim O'Brien and cockpitvisit like this.
  5. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice hotel in a great location, I used to stay there quite often, but with the opening of the brand new Le Westin, which is very close to the IC Montreal I have been choosing to stay there recently, love the feel and smell of a new hotel. That being said the IC Montreal is a great property.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  6. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there at the end of March on a BOGO stay. Rate was good (sub 200 a night), so booked a club room. I was upgraded to a corner suite. Nice room, but I was not terribly impressed by the club. Of course, that could be because I was in BKK recently, and the club at the Renaissance is top notch there.

In any case, the front desk was friendly and very helpful.

One small note. The time previous staying there, I was on an AAA rate. I am a member, but forgot my card at home. Guess what they asked for checking in? They would not budge at check-in, but got it dealt with the next morning.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  7. I'm at this property this weekend and the service levels have been nothing short of poor.

1. booked a flex rate king exec. irrrestible view room which sholuld have been an automatic U/G to a suite when I checked in on Friday. No such luck wirth front desk staff until I insisted on seeing the manger who then ony reluctantly gave it up. I think they had a plethora of mothers day reservations for last night and were trying to hold on to them is my guess.
    2, The key to the lounge didn't work and I again had to wait while someone went to the back office to check on it. They generally give all RA's lounge access here.
    3. the welcome package never arrived. The IC amenitities kit in the room was empty on arrival and until my wife called them to refill it.
    4. the scale in the room didn't work which we mentioned simply to see if they would fix or change it. Nothing happened.
    5. The lounge which is supposed to have afternoon service starting at 5PM didn't start until 545PM yesterday with some staff guy rushing in on his own and going like a banshee to get it set up.

This is a well situated and nice property in Montreal but it won't endear itself to cusotmers with continued service levels like like that. I have stayed here six times in the last year so I am able to judge their levels appropriately

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's an IC amenities kit?

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  9. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frankly ,it is a " IC amenitities kit".:)

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  10. the little box generally in all IC's with cotton swabs, sewing kit, spare razor and toothpaste(sometimes), etc.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  11. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    *nods* Mine was 1/2 empty in Montreal the last time I was there. Very well stocked in Miami Doral and not to be found in Houston.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, those. Never considered it anything more than part of the toiletries. Thanks for the clarifiation.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  13. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the hotel right now. As an RA I was upgraded to a corner suite and given lounge access. My compatriot, also an RA, was only upgraded to a club room. The check-in ladies didn't understand what benefits were being extended. Was woken this morning by the maintenance crew knocking on the door to spray the outside of the windows for bugs. I understand that it needs to be done, but first thing (well, 9am) in the morning?

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  14. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked out after a week long stay. Here's what I saw.

I had booked a standard room and, as a RA, I was given an upgrade to an Iconic Tourelle Suite with club access. The room was nice enough, but wifi was hard to connect to in it. When checking in there was some confusion about the minibar, but it was quickly confirmed that it would be complimentary. A bottle of local still water and some sweets were given as a welcome gift. The mini bar did not have any wine or bubbly in it but it did have something like 6 or 8 bottles of water. Considering there were only 3 cans of pop and 2 cans of juice it made it difficult to make a lot of mixed drinks.

The club lounge is decidedly unspectacular. On two different days I was in the lounge in the afternoon and for more than 2 hours, on both occasions, a number of tables were left with dirty dishes on them. The guy who ran the lounge was much more interested with making friends with a specific group of patrons than he was with anything else.

As I noted in my previous post my travel compatriot, also an RA, was not given an upgrade to a suite, but was given club access. He did not receive any welcome letter nor any welcome gift. On the flip side, another person we spoke to, who has absolutely no status with IC or Priority Club, was erroneously given a welcome letter. They made use of the minibar and the free movie, but were told they would have to pay when checking out. Apparently all was sorted out and the charges were removed from their bill. This person did, however, also have significant issues with payment that had been prearranged by his company and ended up being double billed (personally and to the company) by the hotel.

I was attending a conference which was supposed to cover a portion of my stay. On checkout I was told that this wasn't the case and that I would have to pick up the entire bill. After some investigation with the conference organizers it appears that the hotel had been screwing this arrangement up with more than just me.

Overall, I'd my experience is that I'd give this hotel a miss next time. I would have though that the week prior to the F1 race would have seen the hotel at the top of its game. Apparently that isn't the case.

15. I just checked in a couple of hours ago and things were well organized this trip. RA gift was in the room along with two bathrobes something i always request when travelling with my wife.
    Also got the two b/r suite as per usual. will check the lounge later and let you know how it is operating today.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  16. Say hello to Mr Simon Martin, the Rooms Manager, he's a very nice chap who seems to have a lot of influence/presence at that property. He was very kind during our last stay. Small man with a big heart and if you meet him that's absolutely no exaggeration, you'll understand.

Terry Quinn likes this.
  17. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    InterContinental Montreal
    What is your Priority Club status?
    Platinum Royal Ambassador (Mrs. Andyandy)
    Yes, quite.
    Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?Booked "Inspire" view room for award stay, received upgrade to "Tourelle" suite.
    How are the rooms?
    Quite nice with good views of Montreal. Comfortable bed in separate room. Seating area was spacious. Bath was OK but nothing special.

How is the exec. lounge?
    The lounge is located off the lobby, which is a first for me. Didn't make it for evening drinks, but there is a self-serve wine bar (skybar maybe?) with around 8 different wines. Breakfast was limited, but fine. Pastries, fruit, espresso machine.
    What was your welcome gift?
    A small box of 4 mini cupcakes and a bottle of water. The cupcakes were quite tasty.
    Did you receive fruit in the room?
    No.
    Good:
    Full RA benefits honored on Award stay, with letter confirming benefits delivered at time of check in. Minibar was OK. LOTS of Smirnoff vodka. Jack, Cognac, 2 Baileys (yum!). A nice touch was a cocktail shaker on the bar above the minibar with the makings of a cosmopolitan.
    Bad:
    Nothing particular. The bathroom is a bit tired, with some water damage around the entrance to the shower.

Value for $? Would you return?
    Absolutely. Very nice treatment and I'm always impressed by an IC that gives full benefits on award stays.

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    GoodBoy likes this.
  19. Do you know if he is still there?

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  20. he's been there long term so would be surprised if he's not still there

guinnessxyz likes this.
  21. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    InterContinental Montreal
    What is your Priority Club status?
    Platinum Royal Ambassador
    Yes, location was great for getting around the city and exploreing, Got to see the Canada Day firweorks from hotel room, great view of the waterfront..
    Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?Booked "king club" room with Ambassador BOGO, checked online the day before and had been upgrade to "Tourelle" suite, upon arrival upgraded again to an "illustrious suite".
    How are the rooms?
    Very nice with good views of Montreal. The bed was very comfortable; sitting area room had a sofa bed for the kids, and separate half bath just inside the entrance. The master bath was unimpressive had a bath tub and the smallest corner shower you ever saw, with just a standard shower head that you could barely aim at yourself. Living room had desk, a couple chairs, sofa bed. Bedroom was rather large with a sitting area, and because we were on the 26th (top Floor) the roof line had some weird angles, and only one small window, but the room, closet etc. were very spacious. Both rooms had about 42" flat screen TV’s, mini bar was stocked nicely. L'OCCITANE bath amenities. (we had to ask for more shampoo's and towels only left two for four people) Turn down service has to be requested each day, turn down includes new towels and a quick tidying of the room and turn down the bed. (They did not put out robes, slippers, or leave any chocolates on any night.)

How is the exec. lounge?
    The lounge is located off the lobby, which is a first for me. Evening drinks, and wine are self-serve with around 4-5 different wines. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, breads, cottage cheese, fruit. salmon, breads and pastries, 3 cereals, milk, juice, tea, fruit, and multi-choice espresso machine. Water juice and soft drinks as well as the express machine are available all day and night. The attendant was very helpful and friendly, but they never asked your room number or check any one in. You swipe your room key to enter the club thru large sliding doors. The club is not very large and was almost always packed, lots of kids and families (it is summer), but we saw one person swipe and like 8 people follow them in. If you just sat in the lobby long enough you could get into the club behind a group very easily.
    What was your welcome gift?
    A small box of 4 mini cupcakes and a bottle of water were delivered and handed to us, No glasses, plates, napkins or silver supplied. The cupcakes were very tasty, and my daughter actually had us track down the local cupcake shop they came from and we visited to get more cupcakes..
    Did you receive fruit in the room?
    No.
    Good:
    Full RA benefits honored, movie, free internet, upgrades, etc...,
    Bad:
    Nothing except the size of the bathroom/shower, Dialing instant service on the phone, was anything but instant, one time it rang 32 times before they answered, The other time I hung up and called backed later. No fruit, not sure of the cupcakes were the fruit or the welcome gift.

Value for $? Would you return?
    I hate that you have to book a higher costing rate in order to get your BOGO night, I paid $359.99 for the first night and $290 was credited for the free night. And I booked 2 more nights on separate reservation for $229 corporate rate. At around $200 I feel this hotel offers good value, for an RA. I would return.

GoodBoy likes this.
  22. I have had the same issue with the instant service line. It seems the lounge attendant who also sometimes doubles as a concierge is where the calls go. I've seen him scramble to answer the instant line while doing lounge duty. The instant line does work somewhat better during the week as does the turndown service. It seems they skinny down the staff on weekends possibly because rooms go cheaper then. It is a great location however and I stay there often.

GoodBoy likes this.