Intercontinental Miami West / Doral

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by briantoronto, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently in Miami for two nights and needed to stay near the airport. Rate is 109$ (AAA) but went up tonight so I split the reservation into one night at AAA and one with FnF. Given I only get a set number of points, why not?

Upgraded (?) to a Business King room. OK enough, your basic smallish room. More CP than IC, but I am OK with that at the rate. Fruit plate waiting for me, and comes with free WiFi for Ambassadors and above. Free self-park as well, which is rare for airport hotels. Toiletries are Molton Brown.

No noise from the outside (it is under the flight path).

I would not hesitate to stay here again for the rate.

Brian

2. NewCokeandTaco
    Original Member

NewCokeandTaco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be staying at this hotel next week. I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the last couple of years and have always enjoyed my stays. Your description is very accurate. This is definitely not a top tier IC, but a comfortable one near Miami international airport. Very similar to the IC Tampa. High season rates are generally found from November to May, and this hotel can regularly be had for under $100 US during the summer.

Your booking "strategy" is a good one....as long as they join the two reservations (or you let them know at check-in or before your arrival). Hopefully they will not make you change rooms each night and it would be nice to have the room keys work for both nights without a visit to the front desk.

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a 3 night stay at this hotel and it was actually pretty good. It was a short weekend trip I planned last month and I actually stayed here because the IC Miami had no availability... :)

I had a poolside King room which was actually not bad. A bit over 300 square feet with a decent sized desk and work area, pretty well-stocked minibar and a small patio area outside (separate from the main courtyard) with a couple of chairs and a table.

The pool is T-shaped, 3 1/2 feet on the shallow end and 5 feet on the deep side, and open until 9pm. Thursday and Friday there was actually nobody around, and it was only on Saturday that a few other people were out back hanging out. Even then it didn't feel crowded at all. As far as I could tell there's no pool-side service of any kind -- other than towels being available. No food, no bar, etc. so bring your own. :)

The Business Center and Fitness Center are both 24 hours, as well as the laundry / press service.

It's not a bad hotel at all, and indeed you can barely hear any airplane noise because the windows are supposedly hurricane-proof, and you are right under the MIA flight path.

The only real caveat is that there's only restaurant (the Armillary Grill, with "international fare") but there are quite a few restaurants nearby if you don't enjoy their menu.

Club Rooms are on the 5th floor and half of the 6th (top) floor is smoking rooms, so if you're a non-smoker you might wanna make sure you avoid that particular floor.

Overall a pretty good stay, even though I didn't get the newspaper a single time. :)

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  4. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always been treated very well here. The fruit plate was always good and I usually receive chocolate covered strawberries too.

uggboy likes this.