InterContinental Hua Hin

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by bartla, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, rwoman, philcape and 3 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice pictures. We stayed "next door" at the Hyatt in March.

uggboy, Kalboz and bartla like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. The hotel looks really nice. I always like it when hotels incorporate local touches into their design, it makes them feel very unique.

Thanks for sharing the review with us. :)

uggboy, lwkatya, bartla and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This place is on auction (and sale) at Luxury Link website. As it stands now, for booking period of Apr 01, 2012 - Aug 31, 2012, the 5-night stay with inclusions is $566, as follows:
    Not a bad deal!
    [​IMG]

Chimpy, cliq, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  5. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. That is avery good deal.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    link says they are updating link and to contact hotel maybe deal'is dead?

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked it ... still going for $565/5-nights stay with above mentioned benefits. Auction Ends Mar 31, 2012 09:00 am PDT.

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our stay did not go as well as @bartla ... but gotta admit, this is a well thought out and beautifully planned property whereby all its higher floor rooms have sea view. Beautiful grounds with plenty of greenery, pools of water, and even singing birds. Excellent location to boot as it is nestled between the main road (HWY-4) and the Gulf of Siam for easy access to all worthy points of interest in Hua Hin. The property provides beautiful sandy beaches, clear sea waters, and awesome sunrise in the morning. Traditional Songkran festivities were celebrated during our stay followed by a friendly and fun water fights. We booked 3 rooms with IHG points that added up to be 225K points total for 3 nights. A room for the wife and myself with one of the kids, 2 others for my wife's family - 5 adults & 4 children in 3 rooms.
    [​IMG]
    We stayed at this hotel during the recent Songkran (April 12-15) when the hotel was at near full capacity arriving by car from Bangkok at about 5 PM. We were greeted by FD clerk who immediately served us a fruity beverage. She recognized me as a IHG Platinum Ambassador member and gave a welcome amenity that consisted of Phuang malai garlands and small bottle of massage oil. The FD processed our reservation and informed me that I was upgraded from standard room to premier type of room. I followed FTer advice and requested that I would pay for the first upgrade using points and for the property to upgrade us to club access. I even offered to pay cash for the first insignificant upgrade from base to premier room to no avail. The FD clerk rejected both suggestions insisting that we pay $92 per room per night (THB 2,500++) for club access. The amount was over the top, but I had no choice and relented to this up-selling because I was traveling with kids and needed to partake breakfast at the property. We paid for one room upgrade to club access, but they allowed both our kids the access in addition to wife and myself. Club benefits were not explained thoroughly as to where and what we were entitled for.
    [​IMG]
    Our allocated rooms were on the second floor of the "South Wing" and were adjacent to each other. Were impressed with its great location, layout, and amenities they offered. The housekeeping service was excellent and even offered an evening turndown service. However, there was unpleasant strong musky odor/smell omitting from the bathroom and infecting our entire room (# 6203). I do have hyper sensitivity to smells and can easily develop a bad respiratory reaction if exposed to foul smells for prolonged amount of time. I informed the FD lady who showed the room as I noticed it immediately. No action was taken by the staff to abate this problem and I had a very uncomfortable first night. The next day I asked for a manager in order to resolve this smell issue and was met by FD assistant manager (Khun MP) who assured me that she would provide us with alternative accommodations but stated that because the property was fully booked she couldn't provide us anything for the second night. Later on, I checked the hotel's website using their computer and I found plenty of availability. Housekeeping tried to abate the problem by applying chemicals that smelled good but compounded the problem and made it worse. The next day, we were moved to the 5th floor of the main wing to a Deluxe room which was odor-free with expansive views of the property's pools and the sea beyond. Finally, and on the third night, I got some good night sleep!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As compensation for loss of enjoyment during the stay, Khun MP offered us 50% off any spa services during the second day, I declined the offer as this was another attempt to sell up their services. On the 3rd day, as a compensation, the same manager us for this inconvenience, free spa service. Again, I declined. She made a counter offer by removing all club charges ($276). I immediately accepted rendering the club access charges issue as moot! My mother in law's room (# 6201) also had the same smell not as strong as ours, but that didn't seem to bother her, and, hence, we did not complain about her room.

We partook breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour food and beverages (club benefits). The quality and choice of food was fresh and excellent. The service was also very good and attentive. Two issues about the breakfast food, however: the Thai pork dish at breakfast tasted good but the meat was over-cooked and rubbery. Also, other than lox and another smoked fish, there was no other seafood selection during breakfast. This property is located in Thailand with noticeable Asian guests (including my wife) presence that usually consume such food for breakfast. I informed the F&B manager about these issues on our second day there, but nothing was changed by the third day.
    [​IMG]
    The service in the club lounge by the female staff was great, but their manager was somewhat crude. Service by the concierge and the porters at the hotel was also excellent. The concierge advertised on the hotel website was never seen in the 3 days we were there and not the same person who assisted us. They do have kids' club room with an outside area complete with trampoline. The staff that managed the kids room were excellent. When we left the property, were forgot our mobile charger there. We were contacted immediately and arrangement was made for us to retrieve the charger at the ICH Bangkok.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157644026505125/

All in all a great property and a good stay, but not sure it will be our choice for return visits to Hua Hin due mainly to the odor issue & the stingy upgrades/up-selling.

Whaddya think?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  11. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:

I am sad about the change for the IC Hua Hin and the Koh Samui. Both where great value for the points in my opinion.

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, that was a huge value there. I hope you booked before the change

13. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are staying at the IC Hua Hin it includes admission to a waterpark. Also valid for award stays!!! One night is 35000 points. Normal entry fee to the waterpark is 1000THB per adult.

"Free Access to Vana Nava waterpark for all InterContinental Hua Hin Resort guests"

14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The kids are going to the water park tomorrow ... Thanks for the heads up! :)
    [​IMG]

uggboy and Thomask like this.
  15. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we went in Jan. 2016 there were more employees than guests. Did you see the Holiday Inn being build right next to water park?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The kids went to the water park, we went to Phraya Nakhon Caves at Khao Sam Roi Not National Park. What a grueling trek that was! Will try to spot the Holliday Inn today on the way to see the Seven Kings.

[​IMG]

astraveln and Thomask like this.
  17. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a reservation here in January with my wife and kids. I booked a club room, but just read that children under 12 are not allowed in the club lounge. Were you able to bring your children into the lounge?

18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    No! But were allowed to take food out from the lounge for them. The staff asked us about our kids' favorite foods and we told them burgers, fries, mac n cheese, etc. and the next day they had all that ready and we took it out to the kids who were more interested with playing in and around the pool than being in the confines of the club lounge.

[​IMG]
    View from the new club lounge - more photos of the lounge can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157667165632131

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    kevberhow likes this.