InterContinental Hong Kong

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by lichenlt, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a three-night stay at IHG Hong Kong with AA miles. I have Plat. status. Should I call the hotel to add my PC membership number in order to get room upgrades? or do they even honor status benefits for a stay like this?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Not a hope in heck getting a platinum U/G at that hotel especially on points. That is a prime property.
    But hey trying only gets you a NO..so its worth the attempt.

lichenlt, Tim O'Brien and uggboy like this.
  3. have just had a three night stay, and for ambassadors they give the one tier upgrade, for RA's they give the two tier to maximum of the 1 KING BD EXECUTIVE STE FULL HARBOR VIEW, club is additional, not attached to the room type and they won't combine amex plat/centurion with ambassador upgrades so I doubt very much if you've used AA miles they'll accept the PC Plat, but worth a shot.

lichenlt and Terry Quinn like this.
  4. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should I email the hotel now or wait till I check in at the front desk?

5. Personally I would phone, that way if they agree then you can ask for a confirmation email, if you email and they knock you back, it's there in the booking, if they say no over the phone you at least get a second chance when asking when you check in, this IC property is pretty tight and to the rule from my experience.

lichenlt likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that there is a lot of construction around this hotel. The sidewalk along the street is closed in front of the hotel as are some access points from the building to the Walk of Stars pedestrian walk along the waterfront on the harbor side of the building. It looks like the neighboring shopping mall with offices on top IIRC has been totally gutted.

lichenlt and Tim O'Brien like this.
  7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I just realized I booked the Intercontinental Grand Stanford, which is a little further back from the harbor. I guess my chance of being upgraded is higher than at Intercontinental HK?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC the Grand Stanford is in Central. The hotel I'm talking about is in Kowloon and has fantastic views across the water.

lichenlt likes this.
  9. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, both are in Kowloon. Intercontinental Hong Kong is the one right at the tip of the peninsula in front of the Avenue of Stars. Grand Stanford is located a little bit towards the west.

Tim O'Brien and MSPeconomist like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OOPS, sorry. I got the Grand Stanford confused with one of the other hotels in high rise buildings in the middle on Central.

lichenlt likes this.
  11. chances are better at upgrade at Grand Stanford, the HK IC is pretty tough, always have to pay for club even when booking a suite, circa USD 120 a night, if you enjoy cocktails probably worth it. The GS is quite nice really, old world charm, the great dame so to speak. my last stay was there and much enjoyed, you do have the road between the hotel and the water compared to the IC which is absolute waterfront on the harbour, both are great hotels, enjoy your stay.

lichenlt likes this.
  12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tim. I will call the hotel and see if they can upgrade me. fingers crossed. :)

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  13. mg79

mg79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My ambassador status didn't even get me a upgrade to harbour view from the lowest room cat, I had to pay extra 1000hkd for harbour view.

AFAIK PC Plat is useless at this property and ambassador not much use on reward stays.

14. they have a policy of one tier upgrade for ambassador , two for RA, and if you want harbour view, must be a room booked on the harbour side, club is extra irrespective of room type booked, max upgrade for RA is the 70 sqm full harbour view executive suite, F&F stay last week and they did all the right RA things.

15. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I much prefer the Grand Stanford to the other IC - it's not quite as well located, but generally considerably cheaper and I've always had good stays. They will also normally give RAs Club Access instead of a room upgrade if you contact them in advance.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the hotel now and came as an IHG platinum, but no ambassador status.

While I didn't get a harbor view room (see above discussion of the extra charge), I did get upgraded to a very large room with a view of the Peninsula and the Sheraton and they offered a fruit plate.

So there is an upgrade for Platinum members.

by the way internet here is hk$156 per 24 hours, which is about $20.

Tim O'Brien and Kalboz like this.
  18. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess we must have been lucky. I'm just a lowly platinum, booked one night with points at IC Hong Kong and got upgraded to harbour view room with a fruit plate. I was very surprised given the reputation of this property.

19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think everyone should post either IC GS or IC HKG in their posts in this thread, as I think there may be some confusion about which property, they're actually talking about.

I've only ever stayed at the IC GS, since the price difference was pretty big, usually 50-75% for the cheapest room. I've been pretty happy with most stays here, and love the club.

20. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the Grand Stanford's typical upgrade policy for RAs? Will we get club access or do I need to ask for that in lieu of an upgrade?

21. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the typical upgrade from all bookings, but I know that I booked cheapest room and got either a suite, or a deluxe-room harbor-view WITH club access. I chose the last as I REALLY like the lounge. It was like coming home when we had had 5 nights in Taipei and came back to HK GS. In my opinion the service is much warmer and personal at IC GS than at IC HK. IC HK is nicer, but I prefer IC GS. However the pool is MUCH nicer at IC HK... :)

Tim O'Brien and TheBeerHunter like this.
  22. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the opposite experience- Loved IC HK lounge attendants, ambience and all day food selections; IC GS not as much. Of course, these are shades of difference on excellence... Still would choose IC HK, non harbour (musty smelling rooms each time on Harbour side and the view, while great, isn't worth the premium to me anymore), Club access over other options on Kowloon.

23. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spending 4 days in HK at end of the month w/ husband. Presently booked at Conrad HK using Points/Cash & taking advantage of the 30% point rebate promo so each night is 17.5K points & $85US. Considering breaking up stay with 2 nights @ IC HK using points and 2 @ Conrad using points/$. Moving hotels is not an issue for us. We've stayed at Conrad HK before and like the Diamond benefits, also have no problems with the Conrad location. But it would be fun to stay on Kowloon waterfront for a night or two. Since Plat status = no status here, an IC HK harborview room will not be an option. Anybody have any thoughts?

24. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking to stay in IC Grand Stanford for 2 nights in June and cannot decide which rate to choose - "Club rate" (which comes with lounge access and evening cocktails, If I get this right) or just 'with breakfast' rate? Difference is about 300 HKD and I'm not sure if it worth to go with lounge (never been in HK). I also keep in mind Hyatt Regency TST (which is cheaper), but I read a lot of positive reports about IC GS, so I'm leaning towards IC.

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any other IC stays planned? You could easily just buy Ambassador status and get lounge access plus the minibar and a possible upgrade, not only for this stay but for the next year.