Intercontinental Gold vs. Platinum

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by mo26, Jan 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy New Year !!!!

I was just reading a Loyalty Lobby post this morning discussing the bonus point differences in the packages for Ambassador Gold, Platinum & Royal.

I bought the Ambassador status and received a Gold Ambassador card a few weeks ago. About a week later, I became PC Platinum..Now my page says I'm a Platinum Ambassador...

Should I be expecting new membership packets from both Priority Club and Intercontinental? If so, I would assume the PC Platinum will just be a new card....But will the Intercontinental Platinum come with a complete packet (bonus points, BOGO Voucher, and a different Plat card)???

Here's the link that caused my confusion :)
    The Tale of Three InterContinental Ambassador Packages: Gold, Platinum & Royal Ambassador

- MO

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, the difference is actually just points... according to this.

PS, I have never heard of IC Platinum package..... From the article you get more points with Gold, but I think this is incorrect as well. On Flyertalk, one of the founders said they "ticked the wrong box"

Someone please chime in if they have heard otherwise. Points variations were based on how much you paid for the Ambassador package, thats all.

mo26, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your status is priority club platinum, and intercontinental ambassador. Or platinum ambassador for short.

mo26 and uggboy like this.
  4. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, I guess I was just confused how this guy could have three different welcome kits.

I guess i'll wait and see if they send anything since i'm a platinum ambassador now.

5. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get anything on becoming Plat Ambassador... Only when I became Royal Ambassador (which incidentally *also* bumps you to platinum!) did I get another pack...

mo26 likes this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, does being PriorityClub Platinum get you anything? Breakfast, Internet, late checkout, nice upgrade, club access?

foxberg likes this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late checkout - yes, maybe internet. "Nice" upgrade - define nice. Club access? HAHA. What do you think this is? Marriott PL (or even Gold)?

mo26 and anabolism like this.
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I called the hotel and they said, "Well, if you are PriorityClub Platinum, of course we will not quite so much spit in your food," with what sounded like a shrug.

:)

9. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    dont mean too much from my experience at the Intercontinental Tokyo. they gave me a nice room (not club level..still offered to charge me $120/day for club access). gave me a late check out. gave me internet that was spotty at best. but otherwise, that was about it. oh.. and i got to stand on a carpet in the lobby designated for status holders but I went up stairs to the lounge to check in.

mo26 likes this.
  10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you are a Ambassador or Plat? A single level upgrade is usually an Ambassador upgrade per terms. Club level upgrades are usually an RA benifit.

Problem with PC is they make it to easy to get Plat.... sometimes only 4 stays, you cant have a top tier with that!! Ambassador is strange because it must be bought, kind of like getting a credit card to obtain status.

Oh well, by the time the progams finish diluting themselves I wont care anyways...:):p:)

sobore and mo26 like this.
  11. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im a plat ambassador. I know im opening this up for a can of worms but I have had the BEST experience with Hilton when it comes to low status and actually being treated nice.! Always get a comp lounge access or club floor room with only a Hilton Gold. SPG was bleh. Hyatt was Bleh and now I can add intercon to the who in the f do you think you are list.

12. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, but I agree with you about Hilton. Get gold in 4 stays, and then receive breakfast, internet, and possibly lounge access with a room upgrade. I am Diamond as well as RA, I go between the two based on benefits and the properties. Some places the benefits for RA are outstanding.

The Ambassador program has 1 great benefit. You are guaranteed a 1 level upgrade for $200. I will use 1 example; in Singapore you can book a Shophouse club for 350, the next level up is a 1 bd suite at 575 per night. The quick math says this is a great value.....it pays for itself plus some each night you stay. With Hilton, you would be guessing on an upgrade..... So, yes it does depend.

Lounge is everything to me, followed by room and then breakfast. Each person is different and if Room was at the top, then Ambassador works well.

Status on 2 chains is required if you are spending a reasonable number of nights on the road, since properties vary significantly!

guinnessxyz and daboogah like this.