Intercontinental Friends & Family Rate for Everyone

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by gleff, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe the first person who made this public was Randy Petersen, about two years ago on his Mileopoly blog.

It's still going strong, it was originally listed with short-term end dates but keeps being offered.

Several links exist, various employees are tagged and it's been written that those employees get credit per use though I haven't paid attention to the particulars.

But the gist is that they have a viral, in-the-know rate that anyone can use. It generally requires 7 day advance purchase, it's non-cancellable and non-refundable. And not all hotels participate and offer the rate at all times. But on the whole it's been about 40% off Best Flexible Rate, sometimes better. So a deeper discount than Advance Purchase.

Most hotels were awarding points in the beginning, but it's not supposed to earn points or stay credit. And on the whole this has been corrected, few hotels still offer points and stay credit any longer on the rate. But it can be a very nice savings and tradeoff.

Of course, if elite benefits are key you want to ensure that the hotel you're staying at will honor full benefits, especially Royal Ambassador benefits. I've only stayed at places that do.

At some point the deal will go away but for now it's one of the great hotel discounts out there that allows you to pinpoint your property and often also take advantage of status (though not always).

You do have to print a 'rate authorization form' -- some hotels will require it, many do not, but they can ask for it. But it's just a form you fill out yourself, not something anyone else has to authorize.

See http://www.ihgfriendsandfamily.com/stevesickel

2. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, always check that rate against their 'Best Available' ... Which is also pay in advance, non refundable and sometimes a cheaper option!

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we start a list of hotels in this thread that in fact do honor RA benefits on the F&F rate? I've shied away from using it more because I want stay credit and my RA bennies!

I used it a few times when it initially came out at the San Francisco IC, and was given all benefits (plus got stay credit and points). That's the extent of my use of it, though.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  4. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to put a price on your RA bennies, though, and its not as if 4k points is going to swing it much. We are off to Berchtesgaden next week and we've got a 154 sq m suite for Euro 381 as opposed to Euro 539 even on Advanced Purchase. At those sort of discounts you don't complain. (And mini bar is free at Berchtesgaden for everyone!)

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not staying at too many IHG properties so the combination of buying Ambassador and then using non-qualifying rates throughout the year pays of pretty well. So far all properties I've been staying at honored the benefits (e.g. ATH IC, SGN IC and the HIX near MUC airport). I most likely miss out on promos and points but then I stay on cheap rates every now and then to earn a few things.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  6. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used it at the Mark Hopkins San Francisco and was unable to collect points.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, thanks for the update. MH and SF IC both have the same GM so you would "think" they'd treat rate codes the same way!

When was your stay that you were unable to get points for?

8. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used this rate at the Intercontinental Berchtesgaden and no points were credited.

But it's such an amazing hotel at a good rate that I didn't mind.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  9. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've shied away from F&F because they don't count for the Stay x, get X0,000 bonuses.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Totally fair, I make a case-by-case evaluation based on amount of savings, what bonuses I'm on the cusp of, etc. I find that hotels that upgrade exactly 2 categories and honor RAbenefits on F&F stays I tend to be tempted to use F&F rate, buy a higher category room and get a really nice upgrade. Hotels that will upgrade to a good suite from any rate and give club access, I'll tend to book the lower category room and take the points.

11. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience with the (soon to be ex-IC) IC Berlin on this rate? Points aren't an issue, but I'd hate to miss out on my RA benefits for an upcoming stay in March.

12. ysb41
    Original Member

ysb41 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, used first time for a booking at liverpool staybridge, saved about 30%. Great for Ctc, as only brand is needed......

13. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    any Intercontinental participate?

14. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does one determine if the property awards points or credit for stay? I'm trying to crack my case so I want the stay credit. I looked at the T&C when looking to book the room (awesome rate!) at the IC in Warsaw but didn't find any mention of elig. or exclusion for stay awards, etc.

15. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, just checked as I want to stay at the one in Warsaw...still looking to see if I can rec stay credit.

16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have. You need to check by location.

17. F & F will qualify for crack the case but NOT for regular points/stay credit/other promos. This has been reported elsewhere multiple times so you can be pretty confident of the result. So, if you're just looking to crack the case, you're in good shape but not for anything else.

k2o likes this.
  18. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed with F&F rate in Kazakhstan and got Ambassador benefits but no points.

19. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info fireworks.. i did see on other sites that it could count as a stay for crack/case but wasn't sure. I screwed up taking a disc on 2 nites and didnt get points/stay or anything so don't want to make that costly mistake again.[​IMG]

fireworks! likes this.
  20. TravelGuy1965
    Original Member

TravelGuy1965 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used it for the Holiday Inn Phuket at ~3500 THB per night and they upgraded me to the Busakorn Villa with Pool Access. This room is normally ~8000-1200 THB per night so they were quite accommodating and honored Platinum upgrade perks.

Kalboz and Tim O'Brien like this.
  21. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering using the F&F-rate on my upcoming stay in HKG ( 2 nights ) and BKK ( 2 nights ). Since i'm a first timer, I'm a bit nervous. On the voucher I'm supposed to write down the IHG employee number....What should I write there ?
    Will they ask for identification(employee-type ?)

22. you don't need that, in fact I haven't heard of any property that requests the form. I'd have it just in case but don't worry yourself about it. I've never been asked for the form.

23. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    But these did end up counting for CTC. I had to call and get assistance but it met the criteria. TG!![​IMG]

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  24. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the F&F discount at the IC Tahiti, IC HKG, IC Bali, and a CP in Miami. The last three stays fell during the Crack the Case promo and all counted toward cracking the case even though I did not receive points for the stays.

Here are some comparisons of the cheapest Advance Purchase rates versus Friends & Family. I used a date range of May 11-14, 2011 for this test:

IC HKG - king deluxe plaza view
    Advance Purchase = $2,872 HKD
    Friends & Family = $2,154 HKD

HI Sanibel Island, Florida - king traditional nonsmoking
    Advance Purchase = $169.16 USD
    Friends & Family = $126.87 USD

I also like the F&F rate because it applies to suites.
    IC Bali F&F Suite Rates
    King Club Balinese Suite F&F = $404.82 USD
    King Uluwata Suite F&F = $545.07 USD
    King Jimbaran Suite F&F = $627.94 USD
    King Bukit Suite F&F = $733.13 USD
    2bd Imperial Villa w/ Pool F&F = $1,211.25 USD
    2bd Jivana Villa w/ Pool F&F = $2,008.13 USD

Kalboz and Tim O'Brien like this.
  25. if you haven't got RA, why not get a referral and then stay on F&F, what's it matter if you're not earning points, you get the RA benefits, you save circa 20 to 40% off the advance purchase. The savings far exceed the point value/ benefits

k2o likes this.