InterContinental De La Ville Roma

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by PDX1KWanabe, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Has anyone stayed here? I will be here for 3 nights in July as part of my Honeymoon. I was in Rome last April but stayed at the Rome Cavalieri, how does this hotel compare?

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the hotel....def email for a "special" upgrade for the honeymoon....might want to buy Ambassador as well, which will def help there. Can not beat the location either!

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  3. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really lik the hotel and the location is the best. BUT the service is so-so... but I guess it's how it is in Italy... :)

Tim O'Brien and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How true....in all of Italy....except the high end shops, where if they think you will spend, they will be happy to serve ;)

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately even there they don't offer good service.... Even when you DO spend! (So why am I going back to Italy this summer? :))

Xxx.

GoodBoy and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  6. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where abouts?

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where I used my money or where I am going? :) I used my money at Salvatore Ferragamo and I am going to Florence, Rome, Naples... I think. We haven't decided yet, only that we are going to Italy for 2-3 weeks.

Xxx.

GoodBoy likes this.
  8. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    a hint....dont just try the major cities.....go around and stay ie by Lago di Garda, etc. Much more relaxed....

GoodBoy and Bonnie like this.
  9. I agree. We go to Italy twice a year as part of my penance (43 years[​IMG]) for marrying an Italian and we travel all over only going to the big Cities on occasion although Rome is always a must for me and where we start from. Umbria, Le Marche, Lazio outside of Rome,all the lakes in the north, Abruzzi, Sicily. Not one of those places will ever disappoint you.

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. I agree with the others about the IC. Its very busy hotel normally and in the best and busiest tourist area of Rome. I would stay there as a honeymoon treat however.

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! Ill be burning some points on this trip, hopefully my Plat. status helps with the upgrade!!

GoodBoy likes this.
  12. if you're looking for romantic, hard to beat Positano, popular amongst the Italians, we had our part of our honeymoon there, charming spot.

13. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I honestly dont think Plat will get you much there, if anything....if you're not gonna spring for Amb, best book a nice room to start off then....

Tim O'Brien and ag51 like this.
  14. you should definitely get ambassador and use the free weekend night during the stay, pays for itself, get the upgrade and all the other benefits. agree plat unlikely to get you anything at this property.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  15. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there a few winters ago on a priceline rate. Got an upgrade, full RA benefits. The staff were friendly, but the nice thing is the location. It's in a perfect spot to view the city. You really can't get a better location.

16. I was speaking with Susanna today, give her a call and tell her I suggested you phone her. She is a delightful Italian woman with an Aussie accent, her number is +39 06 6733 9120, i am sure she'll do something nice for your honeymoon, but highly recommend getting ambassador

PDX1KWanabe likes this.
  17. In my humble opinion Positiano is a tourist trap of sorts. There are better places on the "Cotiere Amalfatani" for honeymoon activities. Ravello is much more charming. As they say in French.."chaque une a son gout" ....

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. Under the Tuscan Sun, the romantic comedy was filmed there well after our honeymoon, but other notable movies have been filmed there, " Only You" was a very special movie, show your wife to be those two movies, treat her right and you'll be set for life...... i think most woman would absolutely love it, sure Capri et all other varying and different experiences on the amalfi coast, but Positano is special IMHO.

Google Positano and see for your self. A rich history and tradition for romance. If it's a tourist trap, then it must work on the Italians, because they're there in full force, but whilst you can get reasonable accommodation, the Sirenuse Hotel , where "Only You" was filmed doesn't come cheap. Rooms start at E 350 - 2,200 in the low season and E 500- 3,750 in the high season. http://www.sirenuse.com/Eng/Rates_2011.asp

But there's plenty of other good accommodation, villas, and B&B with very hospitable Italian people.

19. I have been to Positano more than once. It is a very pretty locale and my wife has seen the movies, being italian herself, but also prefers Ravello because it reveals more of the real local and rich Italian culture of the area. We go to Italy more than once a year and have been going for several years. So, maybe we are a little jaded.[​IMG]

GoodBoy likes this.
  20. Frankly Terry, I haven't been back to Positano since my honeymoon, Sienna, Firenze are my favorites, there are so many beautiful spots, had a lovely stay in castellina in chianti that I'd recommend too.

21. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tim,

Thanks for the contact, I purchased Ambassador today and am hoping for the best!

Anybody have an idea what an ambassador will typically get at this location? The only stay in Rome I have to compare to compare to is the Rome Cavalieri last April;)

GoodBoy likes this.
  22. PDX1KWanabe
    I would expect the one level upgrade at this property as ambassador, but would definitely contact Susanna, and mention it's your honeymoon, she really is a delightful person, and you may well do better than the one level upgrade for your honeymoon, if you can't get a hold of Susanna, try Francesca Piccini who is also a very nice person to deal with. All the best.

PDX1KWanabe and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  23. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had a nice stay at this hotel for 4 nights. I used free nights that my wife and I earned from the Sweet Dilemma promo. At checkout, I was required to pay EUR 24 (Eur 6 per night) for something called "Riscosso Contributo di Soggiorno". It was explained to me that this was some sort of new occupancy tax which started January 1st.
    I thought free nights were really supposed to be free. Does anyone here know if the hotel was correct in making me pay this charge? If not, who would you recommend that I contact to try to get a refund?
    Thanks!

man on the move. and GoodBoy like this.
  24. i have two night presidential suite stay at this property and with those nights won in the Princes's charity trust E Bay auction, there was very clear disclaimer with the charity auction ie no taxes, the winning bidder pays no taxes, nevertheless whilst I haven't had to pay any general room tax @15% at other properties so far (Montreal and Toronto), the Rome property did raise with me this new local/city tax effective Jan 1. You could check with PC but I think they'll say, free of the 15% tax, but you have to pay the occupancy one. All the best with PC.

monster likes this.