InterContinental Chicago

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was downtown with some FT & MPers last weekend, one of the folks was an RA & was nice enough to invite us up to his suite at the IC Chicago. To get to this suite, one had to take an elevator up to the 38th floor, then switch to a much small elevator that went up to these suites. When we arrived at his floor, the inner door opened and he had to stick his key into the elevator door of the suite before we could exit into the suite.

I took a couple photos, one of the gargoyle right outside the window of the suite, that @Gargoyle might be interested in and one photo facing south where one can see the Trib building & to the right is the Wrigley building.

It was a suite but was a bit dated. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pleased with an upgrade to the suite but it wasn't the freshest carpet/furnishings.
    gargoyle on Chicago IC.jpg

--
    south view out of Chicago IC.jpg

merice107, uggboy, sendaiben and 2 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there in January as an RA. A pretty tired hotel, IMHO. Nice upgrade...but not a place I'd voluntarily return to, despite the status benes.

jonspencer, sendaiben and viguera like this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will second NYBanker's opinion, a very tired out hotel with no lounge.(reason why I stay at IC as an RA)

however location is awesome and you can get recorded architectural tour (at reception) of the building + famous pool / Shriner's connection, which was pretty cool

they do have some peculiar suites that have 2 bathrooms, larger bedroom + a sitting room in an odd sort of 'L' layout

the standard rooms are depressing at best

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    viguera likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah Chicago is suffering when it comes to the IC properties. I actually like the one at O'Hare, with their nice shuttle and very clean and updated rooms, but unless you have business near the airport it's really a hassle. Sure, they can drop you off at the train and it's only about 30-45 minutes from downtown (with no traffic) but that's really not convenient if you have to go back and forth a couple of times a day.

I guess the one downtown needs a renovation at this point.

daninstl likes this.
  5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never stayed in this property but the building is an architectural gem.

viguera likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    the pool was one of the areas I had wanted to see but time was limited.
    This was more like a U shape, as we exited the elevator, there was a bedroom & bath off to the right around a corner, then to the left, a desk area & then branching south from there was another bedroom/bath.

7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there two weekends ago. They couldn't get our room on time (upgrade to a junior suite) and eventually put us in a one bedroom suite on the 23rd floor (or 32nd? can't remember), overlooking exactly the same direction as on the picture above. :) They really should replace carpeting and some furniture, there's no continuity in style when it comes to the interior decoration.
    P1030574.JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    daninstl likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for the IC ORD property. Very good service and hotel. Downtown not so much. In fact the Crown Plaza Metro is almost nicer last time I was there.

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Downtown Chicago is very nice.

10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice stay at this IC, just ending today. Upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, all new furniture and in excellent condition.

I was surprised as I have read many mixed reviews!!!! Minibar was above average for IC's in general, so I took full advantage as an RA. I mixed my time between here and the Conrad(based on general feedback, but would have been happy here for the entire stay.

Pool is great....

It makes my list for Chicago in the future, excellent rates currently as well !!

11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused by your comment. Above you posted that you hadn't stayed at the IC downtown Chicago? Are you just saying the downtown Chicago as a city is very nice? I agree on that for sure but the hotel is a little tired in my own personal opinion. Not the worst but just could be better.

foxberg likes this.
  12. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    How are you confused? LOL Just because a person has physically stayed at a property, that doesn't mean that cannot be knowledgable of it. :) I haven't stayed at the property, but I like architecture so I've been too it. And overall Downtown/Loop/RiverNorth is nice.

daninstl likes this.
  13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points however....the quality of the interior rooms are the most important to me when it comes to hotels. For example the Radisson Blu in Rome is very cool, unique and interesting but also very tired and in need of a remodel.

14. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking about taking a 3-4 day holiday with my wife here for Valentines Day. However, the lack of a Club Lounge is rather disappointing (I'm an RA, & I enjoy using them during my stays). Any thoughts on this being worth a short holiday? The various reviews tend to be a tad negative. Thanks in advance.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should give it a shot and report back... I don't think anybody has reported on the status of this hotel in a year, and I would hope things have improved.

16. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there in December 2014 and the newer tower has upgraded suites that I booked for colleagues that were fairly nice :eek:

however in the old (historic) tower I had the suite on the 38th floor and they are looking ratty / far past their "sell by" date

17. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Evening gentlemen. A quick update; my wife had a medical issue arise that prevented air travel. As a result, we were unable to enjoy their hospitality.

On a minor positive note, even though the reservation was non refundable, after having the Ambassador line contact the property, I received a full refund. Thank you IC Chicago. I'll have to pen you guys in for another short holiday soon.

londoncalling likes this.