Intercontinental Century City Los Angeles California

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Sweet Willie, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had my first RA stay and it was at the IC Century City, not a big fan of the hotel.

I did not receive any welcome fruit/amenity but that is I guess my fault as I did not know that was an RA amenity. I then go back to my belief that I shouldn't have to know the perks of a program in order to ask for those perks, the perks should just be given to me.

I did have a weekend afternoon to enjoy the pool, there were not that many chairs, thankfully it was not crowded and thankfully there was periodic pool service where staff would pick up towels off of chairs that were not in use as the people were too lazy to drop their towels on the pool deck to indicate they were no longer using the chair.

I did not like the location at all for a leisure stay.

I was upgraded but meh big deal. The desk was very small to work on.

Paying $35 for parking bugged me but anytime I pay for parking it bugs me. Valet was chaotic, EVERY time I went to drop off or pick up my car, just terrible, I was boxed in a number of times as they couldn't decide which cars to move.

While I'm commited to giving RA status a true shake to see if it something I want to continue, so far it is not a good start, seems like I paid a premium for not much.

caldy008 and sobore like this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    No upgrade?

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    He did mention he got an upgrade but it was meh.

Personally I would be upset about not getting the perks or a decent upgrade... after all that's the whole point of being RA, and IC is supposedly the high end of the chain.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also agree that perks to which one is entitled should be given freely, rather than only after begging. I feel like the opposite of a VIP guest, and feel more like a vagrant, when I have to haggle like I'm in middle eastern market place.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there's an obvious difference between asking and begging... my understanding though is that the OP didn't know about the perks that he was entitled to, but that shouldn't really be a factor.

The whole point of joining a loyalty program and achieving one of the higher tiers is for recognition, especially if you're an RA. When you show up and you check in, the front desk should know who you are and your status, and make sure you're offered all the amenities that you're entitled to based on that status. Just because I didn't know or didn't feel like asking about late check out or complimentary fruit/water/minibar/whatever doesn't mean the front desk shouldn't have informed me about it or arranged to make it happen.

IMO the OP should reach out to guest relations or someone and make sure they know about their stay.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct, it was a suite I'm guessing as it had a sitting area with doors to go into the br, it also did have a small balcony with two chairs & a table (which BTW had an ashtray as in invite to smoke, but I guess better on the balcony than in the room)
    agreed, that is why I ceased doing business with Hilton years ago as I had to carry a copy of the amenities I was due and at nearly every property would have to argue (not discuss) the perks I was due, even for something as obvious as the free breakfast at Hilton. Back to this IC, the agent at checkin did say thank you for being a Royal Ambassador to which I replied, yes it is my first stay as a royal ambassador, so I know the agent was aware of my status.
    I think I will, thanks for the suggestion. Just to clarify, do you mean guest relations for the IC I stayed at or IC guest relations in general?

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not both? :)

The hotel is partly at fault, but it doesn't mean the Priority Club people shouldn't know that there are properties out there that are not taking proper care of RAs.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  8. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree about the outrageous parking fee. For that much money, the valet should run a lot smoother than it does.

On my last stay as an RA I had an inordinate amount of difficulty getting mini-bar charges comped. The charges were added to the bill after checkout, and for some reason the front desk people refused to reverse the charges, and asked that I contact Ambassador Services. As usual, I reeived a non-responsive e-mail and phone call from Ambassador Services - - "you are not entitled to RA privileges on an award stay" (this stay was on Sweet Dilemma nights). Never mind that I confirmed at check-in that ALL RA benefits were being honored, specifically including the mini-bar, and that I was given an "RA suite upgrade". Two+ weeks later the issue was resolved by the front office manager.

They also wanted $50/night for a rollaway bed.:rolleyes:

The hotel itself is fine, but don't know that I would return on a paid stay unless the price was right.

9. Interesting thread. I stayed at that property twice last year and was well treated each time with all the amentities I was due.

10. We sincerely apologize and deeply regret that you did not enjoy your experience at InterContinental Los Angeles. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure all of your issues are addressed. Do you have an email where we can reach you?
    With sincere apologies,
    Management at InterContinental Los Angeles

Tim O'Brien, DebraI and Pete like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my issues have been addressed by the management at IC LA and as a result I will try the property again during my next visit to LA, thank you for being on this board.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  12. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd start with ambassador guest relations, they normally just forward you inquiry to the IC hotel in question for resolution.

13. caldy008

caldy008 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting the info. I am staying at the Intercontinental in May 2013. Thus I do hope that they will recognize my status as Ambassador upon arrival. I always give my card on check-in and do hope that at the front desk chechin they recognize the benefits of my status.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. I've been there twice in the last year and both times my RA status was recognized in advance and the welcome fruits etc were in the room when I got there. Willie must have arrived on an off day or something, which should not happen.

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they don't, push the issue(s) where you believe they are not acting accordingly per your status. Hope you have a great stay!

guinnessxyz likes this.
  16. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here many times and as a platinum member have been treated great. Parking is always a problem in that part of LA. Nice hotel just showing a little age.