InterContinental Budapest

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by mikew99, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed a stay at the InterContinental Budapest, so thought I would share my experience there.

Location: Located in central Budapest, right on the banks of (well, across a road from) the Danube River. Great location for walking to sights nearby. Right next to a tram stop and a short walk to a metro stop (which, as the second-oldest underground in Europe, is itself an attraction).

Upgrades: I'm only an Ambassador (no longer an RA), so I received the standard one-level upgrade from a SUPERIOR ROOM to a SUPERIOR ROOM KING BED RIVER VIEW. I did not ask for and did not receive club access.

Appearance: The hotel isn't much to look at from the outside, but the lobby and rooms are classy and nicely appointed. My standard room had a king bed and a sofa large enough to lay flat on, a coffee table, a work desk, and a bureau to hold the mini-bar and flat-screen TV.

IMG_0774a.jpg

View: My room at the IC Budapest had the best view of any hotel I have ever stayed at. I was on a lower floor, but because there are no buildings opposite (the hotel essentially fronts the river across the road), I imagine that the view from the upper floors is pretty much the same. To lay on the bed and view the Buda Castle and the Matthias Church across the river is quite a sight, especially at night!

IMG_0773a.jpg

Comfort: The bed was OK. My (king) bed had two of those European-style duvets instead of sheets, one duvet for each half of the bed.

Bathroom: The smallish bathroom had a tub/shower combination with a hand-held shower head. Standard toiletries were provided. I'm not very picky about toiletries; even so, I didn't care for the bar soap too much, so I used a spare that I had brought with me.

IMG_0777a.jpg

Security: A hotel keycard is required to access guest rooms from the elevator. The safe was barely large enough for my laptop -- and I have one of those ultraportable laptops!

Internet: Both wireless and wired Internet access is available. Internet access was included in my rate, so I didn't note the cost. The speed was adequate, and I didn't experience any problems connecting or staying connected.

Breakfast: Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was included in my rate; I needed only to provide my room number to the receptionist. The breakfast included a buffet with a made-to-order omelette station and a good selection of both hot and cold items. The buffet food was nothing special, but the omelette was much tastier than those at the Hyatts I often stay in.

Check-in/Check-out: Check-in and check-out were fairly quick and painless. As promised at check-in, charges for internet and breakfast never appeared on my bill.

Pet Peeves: As with most hotels I've been to, usable sockets (for laptop and other electronics) were available at the desk, but hard to find near the bed and the sofa. There were TV channels in many different languages, but the English-language channels were almost all news-related. (I found few movies, dramas, or sitcoms to watch in English.)

Summary: One of the better IC experience I've had, and the view was the best I've seen! I would look forward to staying at the IC Budapest again.

cliq, Bob Smolinsky and Noelene like this.
  2. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like this hotel! I have stayed here as an Amb. and RA. As Amb. on a pointbreak 4 night stay I got an upgrade from the standard superior to a superior with river view. I payed €30 to get lounge-access. Well worth it if your rate does not inculde breakfast. The lounge is very nice with food all day. In the evening there are some hot items, a soup and cold food. Wine served from 18 to the lounge close at 22.

As an RA I was upgraded from a superior river view to a one-bedroom suite with club-access. Free mini-bar, drinks and snacks. To get the "hard-liqour" you simply have to order it, and it is free for RA's.

I will be back!

Xxx.

Noelene likes this.
  3. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for those reports! I make brief notes from reviews such as these, way easier than trawling for info!

4. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also really much enjoyed the hotel. As an RA on a PB stay, I got a suite upgrade with the view of the castle and free mini bar. the staff were nice, and I would return to the hotel.

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh and I just love the view I had with my suite upgrade
    [​IMG]

Skyvillager and mikew99 like this.
  6. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Jason, for posting the night picture. The view from the IC is even more impressive at night!

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're going to Budapest in March. Might use a BOGO here. What is the "typical" RA upgrade at this property? Does it include club access?

Does anyone have experience with what their upgrades are like if you book a suite? They offer them on their BOGO rates.

8. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you book a room with river view, you will get a suite with lounge access. This was what I was told last year when I stayed there. LOVE the service at the hotel and in the lounge. Our son was amazed when they called him "Sir"...:)

Xxx.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    We recently completed our stay here. The previous reviews are all really spot on.

We knew we'd be pretty wrecked after almost 24 hours of travel from the west coast USA, so we had arranged the hotel car service from the airport, which was very convenient, although about 4X the cost of a regular cab (but at least it didn't reek of smoke like the FoTaxi we took back to the airport :eek:).

We checked in at the lounge and found the staff super friendly and helpful. Our room was ready upon our arrival at about noon. It was basically a larger version of what mikew99 posted.

We were upgraded to a river view suite, with absolutely stunning views of Buda across the Danube (especially all lit up at night). The room was a decent size, the bathroom oddly included a tub with shower, and a separate box shower on the opposite wall. I appreciated all the extra toiletries this meant I could take home, though. :)

The club lounge was really great. The space is airy and modern, while being calming at the same time. Staff were all very friendly, though I did find the service at the club sometimes a bit over the top: when we went in to just sit and use the WiFi a bit, the server kept coming back over to us every 15 minutes or so, asking whether we'd changed our minds and wanted anything yet. We're pretty low maintenance and prefer to get ourselves drinks, etc. so found this a bit much!

The wine on offer in the minibar was quite good. We didn't order the "hard liquor" package as we had no need.

Breakfast is offered in the club or at the restaurant -- the spread at the restaurant is quite extensive and pretty good.

Food at the club in the evening can more than make a meal if you want it to!

Our last day we had to leave before breakfast was available, so they arranged boxed breakfasts for us, which were huge: two different kinds of juice, two pieces of fruit, a croissant, and a meat/cheese/veggie sandwich. No minibar or other charges needing to be removed at checkout.

Minor quibble was just with the elevators. There are 4 or 5 of them but they always seemed pretty slow when you called for one, particularly from the lobby.

Location can't be beat, and service was top notch. I would love to come stay here again!

10. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful hotel, great review