Intercontinental Barclay New York

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by GoodBoy, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. What is your Ambassador status?
    Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
    Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
    Booked a standard room and received a One Bedroom King Bed Suite. Initially showing no availability for two of the four nights online, phoned the property and they were made available, I book online using Amex bonus points mall, and I checked the reference number, phoned back reservations and they added the two nights. Interestingly the first reservations rep I spoke to quoted $279 for the first night unavailable, when I phoned back a different reservations rep gave me $259, the fourth night was showing $369 on their system, and I said "don't worry about it", and they ended up at $249.

How are the rooms?
    Very good size by NYC standards city buildings views, tastefully furnished with classic styles, designs, not new of course like Times Square but not too old, enjoyed the old world charm of this property.

How is the exec. lounge?
    Neither NYC property, the Barclay or Times Square has a club lounge.

What was your welcome gift?
    Large fruit platter and water.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
    The dedicated Ambassador desk, helpful, location, good upgrade, busy property, good atmosphere Overall very happy with the property and the service. Would be good to see a club lounge.

Bad
    no doorman?....nothing really.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
    Yes

Would you return?
    Yes

jbcarioca, gleff and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good!

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's better than the IC Times Square, their rooms are tiny and expensive!!!

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Lots of suites here so RAs usually get suites. Rates can sometimes be reasonable. And plenty of large non-suite rooms too. Which makes it a decent property. As observed, no lounge.

It's not a great property. Lobby can be busy. I have a negative association with the place because of being woken before 56am by a phone ringing and there was a recorded message from the hotel. I said something and they 'investigated' and denied it, basically calling me a liar (why would I possibly make that up? I wasn't asking for anything other than an explanation and maybe an apology for ruining my sleep.)

I'd take it over the Grand Hyatt which has paper thin walls and a mediocre busy lounge. At least as an RA vs Diamond.

But I stay at the Andaz 5th Ave these days.. :).

5. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Each to their own - I've got nothing against the Barclay, but much prefer the new hotel - nicer rooms (yes, smaller, but still fine for NYC) and better located for me.

6. had a recent stay at Times Square, and don't disagree it's a lovely property, with the caveat again without a lounge, central location, service was very attentive, and very much liked the property, three factors influenced the decision to stay at the Barclay, 1) location, closer to office, 2) the asking price for a basic room at Times Square was ranging from $380 into the 4's, 3) the stay at end of Feb at TS was $249) whilst had a great upgrade at Times Square, it was over a weekend and whilst I wasn't initially annoyed by it, noise became a factor. All in all, if they were priced the same, I think I'd alternate stays between the two properties, or base it on the extent of the upgrade that I could get ( i think I'll phone both next time and ask, that may well be the deciding factor) old world charm v nouveau chic, different offering/style altogether, even the staff at Times Square were more like a W, much younger, hip vibe, not quite Ian Schrager style but certainly more emphasis on catering to the 18-35yr market.