Inter-Island Trips: Hawaiian Airlines, or Other

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by Makena, Oct 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

What is the best way to book lots of inter-island flights: possibly 12 round-trips per year. I'd like to know what it costs in terms of award miles for each airline. So far, I have:
    • United Airlines: each round-trip fare cost 10,000 miles.
    • Hawaiian Airlines: roundtrip fares cost 15,000 miles. You can book one-way tickets for 7,500 miles each. There might be some bonuses for Hawaiian elite status members, but I don't know what they are. Does anyone know?
    Does anyone what it costs in Award miles for the other programs?
    • American Airlines?
    • Delta Airlines?
    • Others?
    Also, for the above, are there any additional fees? For exampe, are you required to book the ticket over the phone with an agent, which might cost $25 extra?

2. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, redeeming miles for inter-island flights is a poor use of miles, but if you really want to use them:

American: 10K round-trip, 5K one-way. Can be booked online. Close-in fee if within 21 days and not Gold or higher.
    Delta: 10K round-trip, no one-ways. I've never found low availability, so plan on 15K. Only available over the phone, so $25 ticketing fee unless Gold or higher.

United also has one-way awards, and also a close-in fee.
    If you happen to have Virgin Atlantic miles, then it's only 6K round-trip, that's the best deal.

3. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that American Airlines offers a 10 percent rebate on Awards travel if you have the Citi AA card. If so, that would make inter-island flights only 9K miles. Can anyone verify?

4. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    I've also read that Hawaiian Airline Gold and Platinum members have access to discounted flight awards if they book online. Can anyone verify that, and if so, how discounted are the awards?

Also, the same is supposed to be true for the Hawaiian Airlines Visa Card.

5. rheller42

rheller42 Active Member

Status Points:

6. rheller42

rheller42 Active Member

Status Points:
    The Hawaiian Airlines Visa card will give a 15% discount on inter-island tickets. Therefore a 10,000 mile ticket will cost 8,500 miles