Inter-Island Flights for 5,000 miles r/t with Barclays Card?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Makena, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    I'm in Hawaii and I'd like to know how to cheaply purchase inter-island flights using frequent flyer miles. They typically cost about $135 roundtrip. I have lots of United Airlines miles and I can usually book an award seat for 10,000 miles. But I want to do better.

How about the Barclays US Airways Credit Card? It has a 40,000 mile signup bonus and claims to give a 5,000 mile rebate on all award travel.

Since US Air is in the Star Aliance, can I use that credit card and book inter-island flights for 5,000 Mileage Plus miles? That would be the normal 10,000 miles, minus the 5,000 mile rebate.

Using 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles could be a big win for me since I often fly inter-island flights. Does anyone know the answer to the above, or how I can find it?

iolaire likes this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Makena and welcome to MilePoint!

From the Barclay's website...here are the terms and conditions for the 5,000 discount (click on the Terms and Conditions link from the landing page):

Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive the 5,000 Mile Award Discount when each of the following conditions have been met: (a) the applicable Account remains open and in good standing (b) you have made at least one purchase or balance transfer in the last twelve months; (c) you are redeeming miles from the Dividend Miles account linked to your Account; (d) you are using the Primary Cardmember’s card to purchase the ticket directly from US Airways; and (e) your award ticket(s) are booked for either a roundtrip or open-jaw itinerary solely on flight segments operated by US Airways and/or US Airways Express (“Eligible Award Tickets”). In the event any portion of the award itinerary is not operated by US Airways/US Airways Express, or is not a valid roundtrip or open-jaw routing, these benefits will not apply and will not be pro rated. If you close your Account or change from an Account with an annual fee to an Account with no-annual fee, you are no longer eligible to receive this benefit.

...so you'd have to be using US Airways miles, paying the applicable taxes on your Barclay's card and all travel must be on US Airways or US Airways Express planes.

Hope that helps!
    Chris

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint. Your post just attracted my attention as I was about to book an intra-island award with UA, but I also have the US card. So I looked into the T&Cs (underlining added by me):

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/japply/lp/TnCs.jsp?prodidreq=CCMWC47745&cpc=USA

5,000 Miles Award Discount: The Primary Cardmember only will receive a 5,000 mile discount off of each Eligible Award Ticket provided all “Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria” below are met. For example, if 25,000 Dividend Miles are required to redeem an award ticket, then the Primary Cardmember will need to redeem only 20,000 miles.

Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive the 5,000 Mile Award Discount when each of the following conditions have been met: (a) the applicable Account remains open and in good standing (b) you have made at least one purchase or balance transfer in the last twelve months; (c) you are redeeming miles from the Dividend Miles account linked to your Account; (d) you are using the Primary Cardmember’s card to purchase the ticket directly from US Airways; and (e) your award ticket(s) are booked for either a roundtrip or open-jaw itinerary solely on flight segments operated by US Airways and/or US Airways Express (“Eligible Award Tickets”). In the event any portion of the award itinerary is not operated by US Airways/US Airways Express, or is not a valid roundtrip or open-jaw routing, these benefits will not apply and will not be pro rated. If you close your Account or change from an Account with an annual fee to an Account with no-annual fee, you are no longer eligible to receive this benefit.

chrislacey likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arghh, chrislacey beat me to it.

chrislacey likes this.
  5. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    I guess this won't work then because US Air doesn't fly inter-island flights.

Thanks for quick replies.

6. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    any luck finding inter island any cheaper than 10k? We're looking at doing some Island hoping and based in Kailua. Would love to save some miles and not have to pay the silly $140 RT for the 70mi flight

7. MillValleyMom

MillValleyMom Member

Status Points:
    Any update on how to do an inter island flight for less than 10k?

8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like no, based on the post above, unless you can talk US Airways into running some flights themselves between the islands.

9. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you have any AA miles it is 5k but the flight selection on Hawaiian is quite limited.

10. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    Created a new thread on Airlines -> Hawaiian Airlines asking about Inter-Island flights. They might this topic a bit better there.

11. Makena

Makena Member

Status Points:
    Is that 5K roundtrip, or one-way?

12. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    One-way.

13. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    If you have Virgin Atlantic miles (or you can transfer AMEX MR), then it's 6K round-trip.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.