Intentional false advertising of award pricing – who/how should it be regulated? (Delta/United)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by iolaire, Jan 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

?

Who should we complain to about deceptive award pricing?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2015.
  1. A Blogger

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Department of Transportation

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. Federal Trade Commission

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. MilePoint

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. No One

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Your State Trade Commission

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Garry’s post about Delta overcharging awards pricing made me post this. It started as a comment and I thought this venue was more relevant, but maybe lower profile…
    http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...vercharge-awards-pricing-engine-still-broken/

Currently we have two airlines that knowingly are charging incorrect amounts for award travel. Examples:
    1. United’s unpublished partner award “sale”
    a. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...artner-business-class-europe-awards-discount/
    2. Delta’s website pricing engine pricing awards much to high
    a. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...vercharge-awards-pricing-engine-still-broken/

Assuming a customer wants to report this deceptive behavior who should it be reported to?

Wouldn't this be more of an FTC complaint, as in its deceptive advertising to have stated maximum prices for something and then go charge the incorrect amount?

However the DOT did respond in with the UA 4 mile tickets fiasco. In that light shouldn't we complain about the mispricing of UA partner awards? (Yes I know no one wants united to fix this award particular sale.)

If they can have random unpublished "award sales" how is a consumer supposed to know what is a "sale" and what is an "sale" and what is a programming error?

With Delta I’d probably vote for the FTC since its clearly false advertising, but on the Untied hand I’d say its more of an DOT issue to stress the point that consumers have to trust airline’s websites and agents since there is no way to know what is an initial change versus a technical issue.

(For example I thought the Sky Team say on 1/5/15 was an error, but it stayed around almost 24 hours so maybe it was just a sale and their fees were so high they had to make the ticket price $1 to get a low enough sale fare.)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What January 1, 2015 sale? DO you mean last year's Boxing Day DL "sale"?

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two days ago you could find $1 fares resulting in flights US to Europe for $325 and up.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, you can complain to MilePoint, or even to your chaplain for that matter, but outside of the catharsis it probably won't do much good.

The Airline Deregulation Act pretty much removed jurisdiction of state consumer protection agencies over airline pricing and advertizing.

As I understand it, DoT is assigned responsibility to oversee airlines to make sure their advertizements aren't flagrantly incorrect or deceptive. I'd suggest going there first.

iolaire likes this.
  5. iangilson

iangilson Active Member

Status Points:
    What about United selling tickets that give one price going and that price is not available for the return? As an example SAN to BRU at $1460 but when you want to book the return the price is $1620. And its web department has a 20 minute wait.