Intel i5 equivalant

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by taiwaned, Apr 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    The world of chipmakers is so confusing. There are codenames then rollout names and the names they end up with is hard to understand. From my research, I want to purchase a new laptop with an i5 Intel chip or equivalant. What are the equivalants? Are they just as good as Intel?

Horse, sobore and Funtodoimpossible like this.
  2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends.

Intel i5 is a processor family that is made up of almost 20 different processors, each of which is best for a different application, i.e. low power, integrated GPU, regular power, etc and each one may have a different equivelent.

What specific i5 are you looking at and what do you want to use the laptop for? Depending on what you will be using it for, you may be better off with a different procssor/configuration. If you were looking at an i5-750 or i5-760, i would say the equivalent would be an AMD Phenom II X4.

sobore and taiwaned like this.
  3. nkedel
    Original Member

nkedel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Performance-wise, the Phenoms are not that close in the desktop space (you really need about 6 cores of AMD to equal 4 of the modern Intel ones according to a lot of the benchmarks I've seen) and AMD has nothing remotely equivalent in the mobile space.

For laptops, an i5-equivalent means "an i5 or i7" and that's pretty much it (the dual core i7s are more like the higher-end i5s than the lower-end i5s are -- they just have a little more cache, and in some cases a slightly higher clock speed.)

I'd say for most people, for a medium-to-high-end laptop anything i5-5xxM or i5-25xxM or i7-6xxM or i7-26xxM can be regarded as roughly equivalent, and good enough - the speed difference between the slowest and fastest models in that bunch is under 20%, and is not going to be huge compared to the jump down to an i5-4xxM/i5-24xxM (with much lower turbo) or any of the ultralow voltage processors (ending "UM" rather than "M") with very low base clock speeds.

JMO, of course.

taiwaned likes this.
  4. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    nkedel, thank you for making it easy for a layman like me.

I am still going to stick with Toshiba but now I know what I want and what to avoid.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horse likes this.
  6. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    My honey bought me the Toshiba Portege R705-P40 at Christmas. I wanted something small and thin enough to take with me on occasion to work or when I travel(13.3in) , but not something laggy. I'm very happy with it. It's not as fast as my gaming desktop, though I don't get frustrated like I do on most other computers with the speed. That model has an Intel Core i5-460M processor.

Like you, I'm a fan of Toshiba laptops. My old Satellite one is still kicking at 9yo. Just not portable friendly at over 17in and very heavy. And since it is so old, it's not as fast as I've gotten accustomed to.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you bought!

jerry a. laska, sobore and taiwaned like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the kicker...for me, the Vaio S was the only choice because I wanted uncompromising gaming power in 13.3 inches(plus the 7 hours of battery life is icing on the cake)...and the S is the only 13 inch laptop with a nice video card(the M11x is too flashy for me);personally, when I buy computers, I only look at the video card. For the average user, the Intel HD 3000 integrated into the i3 or the i5 is plenty powerful.