Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I dont usually get insurance for my trip, I decided to do so for my upcoming trip to China (mainly b/c im bring my computer and camera, roughly $1500). Well the policy I bought from Access America (Continental) doesnt include baggage coverage, and since I booked with my miles they said they are not able to add it to my policy. It has everything else (medical/dental/cancellation/interruption).

Any ideas of insurance companies that have good baggage coverage for cheap? Thanks!!!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx has some coverage on some cards. Also check your homeowner's or renter's policy.

sobore, NickM_LA and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use TravelSafe for travel insurance it includes baggage. I would also check your credit cards and agree homeowners too.

YULtide, NickM_LA and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!! My roommate cant find the policy, so I may be SOL from renters insurance coverage. I did some searching and I found Global Travel Shield, which is underwritten by Amex. They have a baggage only plan for $12 which includes $2,000/$500 (Lost/Delayed) of coverage. Any thoughts?

5. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    1- You can't find the policy? The name of the company? Give them a call, they will find it, if it does exist. Better now than when you might really need it.

2- You get what you pay for. Sounds pretty cheap, I'd certainly be looking at the fine print with a magnifying glass.

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long ago did you buy your equipment and which credit card did you use? You may have coverages for the equipment via the credit card that may be better than purchasing a new policy.

7. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gonna give them a call this morning, Ill let you know the results. Its a Liberty Mutual policy through the alumni benefits from Loyola Marymount University.

Yah, I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with a rep who wasnt really knowledgeable about the fine print. I guess Ill call them again and see if i can get someone who knows more.

Sadly the computer is about 6 years old, so I dont think its covered anymore. And the camera was a Christmas present from the parents, who paid cash at Costco.

So I guess im banking on the renters insurance covering my luggage.

tondoleo likes this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it is time to buy a new travel computer with new warranty?

The Costco gift could be returned if damaged. They have a remarkable return policy for damage items. I know you should never look a gift horse in the mouth but you might want to suggest to Mom and Dad that it is best to use a credit card for electronics at Costco. Good luck.

9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While this computer is chugging along, it may be time to get a new one (its the sad truth, but its nearing the end of its life).

Ive told Mom and Dad to use a points card (obviously Amex at Costco) so they can get points/miles as well as insurance on what they purchase, but they only have 1 credit card, they're had it for 10+ years and they are reluctant to apply for a new one. Which is stupid b/c my dad has a credit score of 810....

tondoleo likes this.
  10. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you checking your computer and camera? I don't see the point of baggage insurance if you're taking it on board (which I would be).

tondoleo and cvsara like this.
  11. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, they are coming with me in the cabin. But I called my renters insurance and my camera/computer are insured in case they are stolen, lost, damaged, or disappear mysteriously. I always like to insure my bags regardless of checking or not.

tondoleo likes this.