Insurance for Missed Flight (after check-in), does this exist post booking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by slice19, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been searching the forums and the internet but have not been able to find an answer so maybe someone has some experience. We booked non-refundable flights on South African Air in July during a route anniversary sale they were having. Due to avalibility, we needed to purchase them off a third party website in case that changes anything. Now, my husband found out he has a business meeting about an hour from the airport the day we fly. We should still be able to make our evening flight BUT it will be close and we will travel on 2 seperate modes of transport, him taxi, me train. So, if he should get stuck in traffic and not make it through security in time to board I don't want to fly without him but I don't want to lose our flights. Is there an insurance policy that I can buy that would allow us to take a flight the next day should he miss the flight due to traffic? We would be able to check in online and I can drop our bags so it would be a missed flight after check in and baggage check, is there anything that insures that which I can buy 2 months befor departure even though I already bought the tickets?

Thanks so much for ANY insights. My next step is to call insurance agents directly and explain.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that there is any off-the-shelf insurance that would cover this scenario, but someone will probably correct me.

Please do realize that if you no-show after checking your bags, the airline will be forced at the last minute, when boarding has been completed, to pull your bags out of the cargo hold (and presumably container) for security reasons (assuming it's an international flight you're not showing up for).

3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can buy insurance two months before departure. However, traffic delays won't be covered.

IDGflygirl likes this.