Instead of LIKEs....

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by NYC_Gal, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is my take on LIKES, it's nice & fun, but it's not very meaningful. I would rather see a list of 'most-useful' threads on the main page. It'll help me discover threads that may otherwise be buried in other forums.

What about nomination for the most helpful thread every month? Say, each of us get 3 picks of the most helpful / useful / funny / whatever thread we like each month. And the thread that gets most norminations get their special listing on the main page.

Jubileesmom and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Excellent idea, but I'd rather it was a top ten list. That way people will keep returning to the list to see what's hot.

And maybe it could be a rolling list, updated once a week?

3. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "likes" threads have their own purpose. One does not have to "view" them or comment there if they don't want to. They can determine from the first post if the post is what they want to continue viewing or not. This IPod contest of which you have won, is a promotional thing to bring in members. And well,most of the winners have not posted much anyhow and haven't been included in any of the "likes" threads. So, no issue with "likes" or not here. I guess really, we don't need any contest or nominations for best posts. I have viewed several meaningul posts that have provided me with a lot of inormation. I "like" them as well. And well, just what good does a "like" actually do here besides provide someone with a feeling of some kind of little accomplishment, even if it doesn't mean much really. After all, what does it really get one but a number in their profile?

4. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    But Thank You NYC_Gal for your contribution and ideas. And congratulations on your win[​IMG] Good to see somone who won posting something and a good one at that.

5. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I feel very lucky. :)
    I was just thinking how we can encourage more people to post useful stuff in this forum. :)

6. I like the idea -- and hopefully it would help to get away from a bit of the "popularity contest" feelings one sometimes gets around here. I also like the idea of doing this on a weekly rather than monthly basis - it's just a matter of finding a way to administer it.