Instant Hilton HHonors GOLD // Plus debate about HH Honors Gold

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, OY-JFS, basiface and 6 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just keep in mind Hilton may DELETE your account for inactivity over time. I had no Hilton stays for a year, when I went to make a rez my account was gone.:(

IDGflygirl, jmrich1432, Espan and 2 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update! Some years ago with had also no activity @ our Hilton account, but the account was never lost!

Kalboz, TAHKUCT and tondoleo like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will loose points for inactivity, but you should not loose your account number.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me the real value of being gold, besides being recognized as a regular customer are the free Wi Fi and breakfasts at HGIs, Hiltons, and DTs.

There are a lot easier/better ways to get Gold than the one mentioned in the article.

DTWBOB

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    But more and more people are getting these benefits as Hilton has an instant or almost instant Gold promo almost every few months.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and that's the case for quite a few hotel chains. But between the instant/easy Gold and the status match between chains, the perks like free WiFi or free breakfast are the only things that you can actually count on.

The easier it is to achieve status without actually having to work for it, the more likely you'll have issues with getting upgrades because of capacity controls. The only thing you can do is hoard the points and hope you can use them at a later time. :)

2soonold, tondoleo, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree.

tondoleo, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks uggboy for the link! Extremely helpful. I tried it and it worked!

However, don't know if I ever going to use it though. I've been extremely loyal to Hyatt and it feels like I'm cheating. But given the lackluster promo from Hyatt lately, Hilton is looking more and more attractive to me.

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad I could help, my pleasure!

tondoleo, Kalboz and cennas like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When there are so many better and easier ways to enjoy HH Gold, so tell us and publish it here!

tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  12. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't get much easier than entering the last digits of a Visa Infinite card lol.

13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    HH Gold is great, both for its ease of getting it without stays and it's perks of breakfast and wifi. I'm actually downgrading from Diamond to Gold, and except for a really nice stay at the Waldorf, I don't think I'm going to miss it. I never felt like I got the nicer room most times anyway. So free food and internet are good for me.

14. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the same promo that GLeff (and others) higlighted in his View From the Wing blog last month. Yes, I took advantage of it then. Why not?

cennas and uggboy like this.
  15. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already a Diamond. but I can pass it along
    Thanks

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  16. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gold works for me, and I plan to keep it that way.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I had tried to use the link from View from the Wing, but couldn't get it to work. I was able to make the steps in the article work, though!

uggboy likes this.
  18. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link uggboy. Awesome find.

I got in on this trick the first time around thanks to DeltaGoldFlyer, and ebay's free WiFi promo on DL, for telling me about it mid-route to Utah.

I think it is cool. Most of the best benefits, award concierge, are on Diamond anyway.

Just nice to know you get a cpl extra perks.

uggboy likes this.
  19. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it sounds like Hilton will delete your account if there has been no activity in over a year and they feel like it.

uggboy likes this.
  20. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do#accrual_of_points
      1. Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity.. To keep accumulated HHonors points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
      1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
      2. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
      3. purchase HHonors points; or,
      4. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this day and age, with all the promos and shopping mall deals and other ways to actually accumulate points, I think the argument can be made that if you allow your account to go completely untouched for over a year, you probably didn't want it in the first place. :)

I think it's one thing to mothball an airline account because prices are high or the carrier doesn't have a lot of flights to/from where you want to go, but even then you can still get a couple of miles here and there to keep the account active. With hotels it's a whole other ballgame... unless you're in the middle of nowhere, you probably can't swing a cat without hitting 3 or 4 Hilton properties... and with things like the HHonors e-shopping mall, you can probably buy some band-aids and keep your account active for another year.

I guess it's one more argument for signing up for one of those aggregator sites that notifies you when your points are going to expire.

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  22. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always wondered if I live in the middle of nowhere....where's my cat? :D

uggboy and nime01 like this.
  23. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started with HHonors because, for the time being, Hilton has the hotels that I would like to stay in as a reward. Before, I stayed/spent based on price or location. Easy gold status just makes it that much more likely that I will decide to spend my money with Hilton rather than with a competitor.

24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    but then there is a dilemma where to stay again if you have a status at multiple hotel programs :D:eek:

uggboy, viguera and nime01 like this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah you have to be careful not to waste a status match request if you're not planning to put time into preserving that status. Even if you meet the challenge and end up being Gold / Platinum for a year but you don't plan to stay at that hotel often (or at all) then you're basically just wasting it. Instead you should really plan ahead as far as how many trips you're going to take, where you're going to stay and (most importantly IMO) where you want to enjoy the benefits of being elite (whether it's reward nights, amenities, etc), and work on that chain.

If you get a status match with SPG but what you really want is to stay at a Conrad in Bali, then it doesn't matter. :)

bearcat74, uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.