Instand Silver Club - Cancelled

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by impsycho, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received this message from BMI. Has anyone else received the same message?

We're pleased to see that you recently joined our Diamond Club frequent flyer programme. However, I'm writing to you because unfortunately the link you used to join was an exclusive by invitation only offer and as noted in our terms and conditions was non transferable.
    Regrettably, we will not be honouring the Silver status, and over the next few days your account will be downgraded to Blue status. Our decision is final, and we won't be entering into any further correspondence on this. On a positive note though, our frequent flyer programme is one of the most generous programmes around, and you only need to earn 16,000 membership status miles to earn a Silver membership. When you fly with us, or any of the Star Alliance airlines, you'll reach Silver status in no time at all. You'll also have access to all our offers and promotions, as well as being the first to hear about our great sale fares. We hope you'll still enjoy the benefits of your Diamond Club membership.
    Regards
    [​IMG]
    Keeley Downing
    Diamond Club Manager

2. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    got the same email this morning

3. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I got it today as well, unfortunately having credited 4 BIS segments to bmi. Is there a way to change those back? I guess something for nothing is always too good to be true.

4. jp1960

jp1960 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,
    I got the same email from BMI. So, no Silver Status, guess I'll be planning going Sky Team on my trip to Kenya in November. Would have been nice to get free bags on the trip...

sobore likes this.
  5. bjcleaver

bjcleaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same message this morning.

6. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got it as well, and the emails tone seemed rather harsh. I would have hoped they would honor what was clearly a mistake on their end...

sobore likes this.
  7. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    :(I received the same

8. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the same email.
    How could anyone know it was "by invitation only" ?

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    ouch........:mad:

10. aviationkiwi
    Original Member

aviationkiwi Active Member

Status Points:
    same here!

11. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this link was ever officially posted and was sent around my folks who got it by invitation. I wouldn't call this a BMI mistake. They checked their records of invited members against the sign-up and are now removing the uninvited guests ;)

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    got the same...lame!

13. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was reported on FT and here that BMI hadn't hidden the link particully well. It was also reported that the database cleanout was out along with the verfications.

Shove it on a few blogs, and boom goes the dynamite.

What's the golden rule - if it sounds too good to be true....

Now if I was BMI, I would had offered a "challenge" of 2 BMI metal flights to hold onto that Silver (Which would had weeded out those who in it for the freebie). But as always, double check the promo, and read the T&C's.

Specificly, the term you're looking for is
    "bmi reserves the right to refuse membership into the Diamond Club programme, and will not enter into correspondence relating to reasons for refusal"

They've chosen to exercise that right. And besides, 16k is one of the simpler *S's to get.... Even I can fly that without too much stress...

Globaliser and mht_flyer like this.
  14. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    Got it too. Was a little disappointed in the tone of the correspondence. A simple apology for the mistake and perhaps, as mentioned above, a way to retain silver status as an incentive would have been a far better approach. BMI should learn from this mistake and take action to correct it in the future.

sobore likes this.
  15. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Aus last year Virgin sent out upgrades to gold to most Velocity members due to a data-base problem. Quite exciting to receive, but taken back a couple of hours later with a " ooops we are sorry " message which didn't go down well :)

Sorry to hear your out of luck here.

sobore likes this.
  16. top compton

top compton Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife got the denial letter yesterday.

17. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    But with 20k you could be *G with A3 :)

18. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shhh! Little secrets like that we need to keep. If for example a certain program gets subsumed into Miles and Less ;)

Globaliser likes this.
  19. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over on Dansdeals it is menttioned that BMI had a similar promotion last year that resulted in a similar letter, although apparently status was not revoked in the end. BMI clearly needs a better system (aka- personalized one time use codes)

sobore likes this.
  20. I don't get why people think that an apology is in order. The travel bloggers are the ones who mislead people into thinking that this was too good to be true. If you are going to blame anybody blame them.

Bmi are not the ones 100% at fault here

flospi likes this.
  21. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    In this day and age of technology and the ability to verify identity for true 'invite only promotions' I think they have a fair chunk of the responsibility. Honestly, the travel blogs pushed a good amount of free traffic to their website for people to investigate and judge if this was a 'good deal' or not.
    They really could have capitalized on this and won people over as opposed to sending out a harsh sounding email that felt like more of a scolding.

My feelings of bmi went from neutral/none to interested/excited to annoyed/frustrated.

sobore likes this.
  22. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get the e-mail telling me it was cancelled. Do I still hold out hope that I'm going to get it?

23. This isn't the first time that a whole bunch of people have joined up off the back of a targeted offer that somebody published on FT. I think that you should consider how many people actually signed up for this offer and the costs of these new "members"

The revenue return on all of these new members will be practically zero, and so bmi are nipping a problem in the bud. I suspect that many outside of the UK signed up as a way of avoiding checked bag fees on the US airlines. I believe that free checked bags are charged back and so this costs DC money. All the more reason to stop it IMO.

Kevincm and flospi like this.
  24. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    I haven't received an e-mail, but my status now reflects BLUE.

25. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    In what way was this a BMI mistake? Someone who got the e-mail containing a link to a targetted promotion sent it out to the world - people who were never invited in the first place. Something similar happened with a CO credit card promotion a couple years back.

There are people out there who actually have the time (when they aren't posting on MP/FT LOL) to go onto websites and key in every possible promotion code hoping somthing comes up. In at least one documented case, someone turned up a promotion that was only being mocked up and wasn't ever intended to be released.

You all should pop over to the "other" site and read the now-locked thead on the BMI board there. Someone actually posted glowing about how it is her mission to find board postings about such promotions and to then report them to the airline/hotel/whatever since people are ripping off the companies when they take advantage of such offers (soft of a BB vigilante, I guess). She then goes on to gloat about how 40% of the time she gets a freebie from the company "as a reward", and THIS is her incentive. Talk about being two-faced!!!

flospi and Tiger_lily like this.