Inside American Airlines on CNBC

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by N670DN, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looked to see if there was a thread in here but it doesn't appear that there is...
    There was a 2 hour documentary on AA last night on CNBC. I ended up watching the 2nd hour after seeing it on a guide and I was impressed with it. It showed a lot of information, analysis, etc. on how several systems work. Again I only watched half of it, but it showed baggage systems at ORD and a mad dog getting a heavy check at OKC.

They also met an AAdvantadge member with 31 million miles and broke down the financial statistics AA1 JFK-LAX with how much it cost. AA only profited $200! That 767 went cross country 18 times during the week that the documentary was filmed.

Here is the link, which has the program online and more information:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/18576787/

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If I didn't have tons of work to get done tonight, I know what I'd be watching. Sometime soon though. Thanks for the link.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is the same documentary I'm thinking of, it's been around for a while and is shown periodically on CNBC. The numbers are probably out of date.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's from 2006 I believe. I've heard of it but never got a chance to watch it, and if it's online I might as well catch up.

As for whether or not those numbers are off after 5 years, according to this FT thread today, they're actually pretty accurate. You be the judge of the accuracy though. ;)

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it's from the "CNBC Originals" series that they air every now and then and have specials on Target, McDonald's, etc. This particular episode was #3 in season 1, originally aired October 2006.

Unless there's another one out there, but I haven't seen anything similar in a while.

6. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    $200 per fligth on 1000 flights per day ends up as $73 million per year. Compared to the cost of their assets, airlines have never been considered to be real profitable.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it before, pretty interesting. Would love to see other airlines do something similar.

Horse likes this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to have a copy on DVD. Someone on FT had hooked me up. Nice show. Glad to see they've posted it online for watching.

I do wish they'd have an update every 2 years or something.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a similar documentary about a cruise ship. To me, that one was the real eye opener. It had quotes about alcohol sales on board making the difference between a cruise that's profitable and one that loses money. I thought I detected rather cynical staff attitudes toward passengers.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was on an older NCL ship. Pearl I believe.

CNBC's Cruise Inc, Big Money on the High Seas.

Can be found on hulu

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds right. IIRC they also talked about the excursion day to their private island, where passengers are at their mercy for F & B and recreation activities prices.

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont' remember if they covered Great Stirrup Cay or not in that episode. But on the private islands everything is priced as it is on the ship. Which is reasonable for a public serving. Although I do feel drink prices on NCL are higher than many other cruise lines.

13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would make a new one on DL, considering post-merger and such.

I did think it was old considering there was an A300 in it...and there were 350+ mad dogs

14. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I think I'll watch this.