Inmarsat Offers Free Airline Tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MX, May 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

  1. MX

    MX Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    4,805
    Status Points:
    2,545
    Now that the feeding frenzy following the disappearance of MH370 has subsided, a practical proposal has emerged.

     
    WilliamQ, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. blackjack-21

    blackjack-21 Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,437
    Likes Received:
    3,000
    Status Points:
    1,910
    For lack of anything immediately better there's no reason for the airlines to refuse this offer, especially since it's offered free of charge to them. They said the equipment is already on 90% of the wide bodies already flying, but what about the other 10% ? Didn't we read that Malasian Airlines had opted not to pay for an additional information service that was offered by either Boeing or Rolls Royce, and by opting out of this option, it made the B777 harder to track on it's final flight.

    And to have complete coverage for all the world's airline's fleets, they'd have to install the needed equipment for the smaller aircraft that are now being used for those flights, such as the B757, and A318 that BA uses for their LCY-JFK flights and the AC319 that AC uses for their east coast of Canada to LHR, in addition to the B737 that LH uses for their nonstops from Texas to Germany. If, as the article states, the possibility of using their tracking system is only now available on widebodies, then more work may have to be done to provide full coverage to the other types too, if those aircraft do not already have equipment on them that Inmarsat can use.

    Agreed that there should be batteries on the CVR and FDR with longer lives, but why did it have to take this lost aircraft to bring that problem to the forefront? Shouldn`t some thought have been given to improving the life span of those batteries after the loss and long search for AF447`s black boxes? Is it so expensive to develop and deploy a larger type of battery with more lifespan?
     
    MX, WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

    Wandering Aramean Gold Member

    Messages:
    28,236
    Likes Received:
    61,785
    Status Points:
    20,020
    There is a HW cost to many planes and there's the part where one commercial operator is essentially trying to make their product a global standard without necessarily having a full conversation about the process. The proposal form Inmarsat isn't new; it was first offered up some weeks ago: http://blog.wandr.me/2014/04/track-planes-for-free/.

    Also, LH doesn't have a BBJ to Texas. SK will soon on the IAH-SVG route and there are others flying, but none between the US and Germany right now.
     
    MX, WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  4. blackjack-21

    blackjack-21 Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,437
    Likes Received:
    3,000
    Status Points:
    1,910
    Not sure of the name, but isn`t it ``Privatair`` or something similar that`s owned by LH and uses a B737 for the nonstop flights I mentioned above from the U.S. to Germany?
     
    MX likes this.

Share This Page