Ink Bold v. Ink Plus

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by guberif, Oct 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Want to do an Ink card. Besides the charge vs credit difference, is there anything else I should consider?

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the only real difference I have seen. Do one now and the other down the road since they are "different products". ;)

guberif likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of the 75k people on MP, "MP" is the one that replies??? My normal go-to source of info! Thanks MP - Blaine

edekba, LizzyDragon84 and mommypoints like this.
  4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory, Ink Bold has no charging limit, while Ink Plus has a defined credit line. I don't know how the reality of this shakes out though, I don't think I'll ever spend enough to approach either even when I get them! :D

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it would seem to me that you'd get the charge card first. That way when you try to upgrade to the credit card, you can sell the "need the extra flexibility" to the recon rep?

6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another difference that I noticed is that when trying to hit a spending target I couldn't use the bold on chargesmart. I couldn't figure out why but I suspect it is because it is a charge vs credit. That site also doesn't take Amex - all flavors as far a I know ;Credit and charge.

Won't really matter if you never use that site. :)

slickw and guberif like this.
  7. slickw

slickw Silver Member

Status Points:

8. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is my thought on it. I think it would be easier to justify "needing" the Ink Plus when you already have the Ink Bold, rather than the other way around. I'm planning to apply for IB in early 2013, ideally getting IP sometime 8-12 months afterwards.

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Yes. I have used both. How else will I meet the spending requirements for so many cards. :p
    I think they are working on trying to get Amex to be allowed, but it is still a slow process there. I don't use it often, but when I have big spend requirements on new cards.

10. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I am confused on this logic..wouldn't the charge card be more flexibility than the credit card?

edekba likes this.
  11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you may have terms confused "Charge" card is like a debit card - pay off each month. "Credit" card is like a traditional visa.

12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the logic that if you need to justify a need for a second similar card it makes since to go Bold and then Plus.

guberif likes this.
  13. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can pay the Ink Plus over time, as it is a credit card. You cannot do this with the Ink Bold, as it is a charge card, similar to American Express's Green/Gold/Platinum charge cards. Of course, no good card churner would ever pay interest on the Ink Plus ;). But you can tell reconsideration that it would be "A good feature to have that is not currently available on my Ink Bold".

edekba and Singapore Flyer like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Now, I understand. :) That is a good enough reason for them to give it to you...

edekba likes this.