Ink Bold Office Stores

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With this bluebird card coming out from American Express, I have seen a lot of attention to the Ink Bold card. I have read that you get 5 points per $ at office stores, however, I read people always talking about getting those Vanilla Reload cards from Office Depot. Can you not buy those cards at Staples or Office Max?

I do not have a card that offers me shopping through the ultimate rewards mall, but am I correct in my understanding that with an Ink Bold, you can buy gift cards through Staples/Office Max/Office Depot online, and get the 5x points for the bold plus the current UR Mall bonus points? If so that is brilliant!

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Staples and Office Max do not carry Vanilla Reload, hence the fixation on Office DEpot.

Yes, but generally there is a cost for the gift card or at least shipping. But you go through the Ultimate Rewards Mall, earn points, make the purchase at an office supply store, earn points, and then the points are generally going to be worth more than that cost.

deant and merice107 like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also, most stores will not accept credit cards for purchase of "prepaid" cards. OD is the only store that people have found that carry the Vanilla card AND will accept CC for payment.

merice107 likes this.
  4. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok that all makes sense.

Now can you buy Office Depot gift cards through the UR shopping mall (currently 4x right now I think) and then bring those gift cards in to an Office Depot store buy Vanilla Reload Cards? Essentially 9 points per dollar right? Or is that too good to be true?

On a side note, do you all feel it is still worth it to buy gift cards from staples.com (5x from Ink and then 2x from the current UR offer) even with the $1.99 charge to the gift cards?

I am going to apply for the ink in mid december and I want to make sure I understand all of its benefits and the best way to use it before I get the card.

5. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't think it works like that. If you use the gift cards to buy the Vanilla Reload cards, where are you using the Ink card at Office Depot? You didn't ... you paid with the gift cards.

6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm saying that you buy the office depo gift card through the UR mall using your Ink card. Then use the office depot reward card to fund the vanilla. That way you are essentially getting points for using the ink, plus the UR bonus points as well. Or can you not fund a vanilla card by using an office depot gift card?

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    At the OD near me they have a sign that you can not buy gift cards with OD store credit or gift cards

wrxmom and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    All OD around me do not allow the purchase of gc with OD cards thus ... double dip on 5x @ OD is not possible. At least for me.

I think its 3.95 not 1.99? I forgot ... But think of it this way.

3.95 or 1.99 is not even 1% of $500. Thus you're getting 4.xxUR/$ of spend.

9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here... I'll take 5x on the purchase and won't complain though :p

edekba likes this.
  10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too! I wont complain with getting 5x for purchases. I figured it would be to good to be true to buy gift cards to load for Vanilla Reloads.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to getting the Bold to start to maximize my daily spending.

edekba likes this.