Ingenious luggage thieves

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta hand it to some thieves... luggage theft usually requires access, so if you don't work for the airlines or the airport, you probably wouldn't stand a chance. And even if you did, it's a relatively small pool of suspects, so you're bound to eventually get caught.

The solution? Steal from the luggage before it gets there.

One (I assume relatively small and very flexible) thief would get inside a piece of luggage, and he'd be transported via coach on the 90 minute ride to Girona. During that time, the thief would get out of the bag and rummage around wearing a headlamp. He'd steal from the other passenger bags and then get back into his hiding spot.

Genius... unless you get caught. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13694382

The image from El Periodico should give you a good visual...

[​IMG]

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go ahead and open my bag you darn thieves, this is what is inside...good luck.

[​IMG]

3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's fine, well no it is not, except when the luggage bin is filled, then game over, and the luggage bins are not big enough for someone to stand up in or even in a kneeling postion:D.

JohnDeere19 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe have a taser / electro rod at the side of the bus. Each bag gets a 15000 volt tap just in case.

viguera likes this.
  6. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Milan, Italy a few months ago and took the bus from the train station to the airport - it stopped at the budget terminal and then the main. At the main terminal, two people on the bus were missing luggage. Someone who got off at the budget terminal helped themselves to the luggage while the owners were sitting on the bus. Ouch.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One would think there are easier ways to steal stuff. But then, if anyone wants to help themselves to my dirty underwear, be my guest.

sunseeker likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... it seems it's not as difficult to ride cargo after all.

Haines Tours of Michigan just got shut down by the DOT for having people riding in the luggage area. Apparently the guy thought it was ok, citing a previous discussion with the DOT about the matter. He even thinks he can continue the practice if he makes a few alterations.

And I'm not talking about a guy down there sneaking around either, it was six people. And keep in mind this is not smuggling or a case of a few stowaways... this was intentional.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=8188342