Information about Air Canada Early Status Recognition

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by zorn, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zorn
    Original Member

zorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Early Status Recognition with Air Canada

What is early status recognition?
    If you are not currently AC Elite and reach 35000 status miles (or 50 status segments) in a calendar year before October 15, you will get AC Elite status for the current benefit year (lasting up to the end of the next February). You must also satisfy the requirements of 10000 status miles or 5 status segments on flights operated by Air Canada. Of course, you will have also earned AC Elite status for the subsequent benefit year as well, just like anyone else who reaches the required threshold.

If you are not currently AC Super Elite and reach 100000 status miles (or 95 status segments) in a calendar year before October 15, you will get AC Super Elite status for the current benefit year (lasting up to the end of the next February). You must also satisfy the requirements of 10000 status miles or 5 status segments on flights operated by Air Canada. Of course, you will have also earned AC Super Elite status for the subsequent benefit year as well, just like anyone else who reaches the required threshold.

Early Status Recognition seems to begin with the start of the new benefit year, i.e. on March 1. So if you cross 35k/50 segments before March 1 you will not be recognized until March 1. (And you cross 100k/95 segments before March 1 you are flying far too much!)

To avoid difficulty it seems to be a good idea to make sure the status activity is posted to your account by October 15. There are often reports that there may be a later, internal, unpublished deadline that Aeroplan uses, but October 15 is the official date.

Yes, you can go from nothing to Elite to Super Elite all in one year.

The is no early recognition for Presitge.

You do not need to be Prestige to get early Elite recognition.

When will my status be recognized?
    It is usually recognized within a week of the threshold miles appearing in your account.

Do I get to select a benefit package?
    Yes. You will receive a welcome email with an invitation to make your selection, but the option to select may also appear before you get any email. Login to your Aeroplan account to see.

In the past, new Elites got the 20k threshold bonus retroactively (then - upgrade certificates). It remains to be seen if new Elites will get the 20k eUpgrade credits. These extra credits might impact the selection you make in your package.

Your selections will be applied immediately. So, if you were to qualify in October, you will receive a eUpgrade credits that expire at the end of the next February. The good news is that in January you will get to choose your package all over again and you will get eUpgrade credits good for the whole year.

Note that if you are already Prestige/Elite and chose to receive the 25%/50% miles bonus, and you move up to Elite/Super Elite during the year, you will not continue to receive the 25%/50% miles bonus for the rest of the year. If you choose the miles bonus for your new level you will receive that bonus instead. If you don't choose the miles bonus, you won't get any.

If you were already Prestige or Elite and you chose bonus status miles, an odd thing happens if you cross the threshold to the next status level. The bonus status miles you chose (and which may have helped put you over top to reach the next level) are removed from your account. You maintain your new status if this miles debit brings you back under the threshold.

If you go from nothing to Basic to Elite to Super Elite in one year you will get to choose a package after making Elite, another after making Super Elite, and a new Super Elite package in the subsequent January.

When will I get my (Super) Elite card and what if I need status benefits before then?
    You will get them in the mail in due course. It will take up to a few weeks. Simply do not count on being able to use upgrade credits until you actually have them in your account.

By default the status you had when you booked a flight will be the status that appears on your boarding pass for that flight. So, your new status will appear on the boarding pass for all new bookings.

You can get your updated status on boarding passes for flights booked before you had that status, but you will have to remove your number from the booking, and then enter it again, either online or over the phone with the operating airline or your travel agent if necessary.

You can also print out emails and Aeroplan website pages indicating your new status. Together with your updated boarding pass you should be able to get elite benefits. It's possible that you will run into trouble with some agents, especially when trying to get Star Alliance Gold benefits with non-AC agents.

Early Status "Lite"

In past experience if you cross the status mile threshold after the early recognition deadline, even for Prestige, you will not receive the full early status benefits (like the card and upgrade credits), but you will be recognized with your new status on the Aeroplan website, on your boarding passes (see above), and in dealings with AP/AC on the phone and via the website. You might very well get into AC lounges with your boarding pass and a printout from the website, but not necessarily. And you are quite unlikely to get Star Alliance Gold benefits without your Elite card in hand.

This information was originally gained from personal experience and the collective experiences of participants of the AC/AP forum on Flyertalk.

ACMM, 2MM_Guy and Exit Row like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    don't forget that the Top Tiers also require 10K of 5 segments on AC for status.
    from the Aeroplan website:
    New! Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement

As part of the required number of Air Canada Status Miles or Status Flight Segments necessary to achieve Top Tier status, you need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air Canada Status Miles or 5 Air Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, or on behalf of Air Canada by Jazz, Air Georgian Limited (doing business as Air Alliance), Exploits Valley Air Services LTD, Central Mountain Air and Sky Regional Airlines.

All members will be able to track their qualification towards the Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement beginning in Spring 2011.

Whether you qualify for Top Tier status with Air Canada Status Miles or Air Canada Status Flight Segments, you can meet the Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement either by earning the required 10,000 Status Miles or 5 Status Flight Segments.

ACMM likes this.
  3. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting. Just a clarification on this. I believe this will only happen in the following calendar year. So if you pass the threshold after the cut off date your status will not change online until January 1 of the following year. In the period between then and when you get your new card (in previous years a short period) you are effectively your new status even without the cards.

ACMM likes this.
  4. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't this be part of the FAQ thread? [​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  5. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be within minutes!

ACMM and 2MM_Guy like this.
  6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious....I'm currently SE and passed my 95 segments about 6 weeks ago (mid-July). I thought that perhaps I'd receive some notification from AC, but to date haven't seen anything about re-qualifying. Should I expect to see something?

7. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the previous years, I've just seen November / December sweep emails, not individually sent emails when I've re-reached the 100K threshold. As long as your Altitude dashboard shows you've reached your renewal, you'll get another email in a few months.

If it was miles, not segments, occasionally I've received an email about my 100K AQM threshold, encouraging me to reach 150K for my new reward.

slalom likes this.