Info: Basic primer for Airfares

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Westsox, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently came across this series of articles online that is an Airline Fare basic primer. The information was written between July 2009 and January 2010 so some of the details of the information may be dated but the general overview is quite informative.

For those who are new to the business of Airline Fares, there is great information related to one-ways vs round trips, stop-overs, open jaws, circle trips, researching fares and a host of other information.

It has been beneficial to me and I believe will help anyone who needs an introduction to the foreign language of Airline Fares and Mileage Runs.

http://www.planestrainsandrunning.com/p/old-posts-airline-fare-school.html

FYI: I do not know the person behind this website and gain nothing from anyone visiting. I just wanted to pass along what I thought may be a beneficial resource for many.

2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading some of this before, but did not finish it. It is very informative. Thanks.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is really worth capturing the secret stopover options on MP, a great find! Wiki at some point.
    Vist the link Westsox posted to get more info and make sure you understand.

United Airlines and the Denver stopover option
    For all domestic (but not including Canada) fares that I've seen, United permits a stopover in Denver (DEN) for $60 including tax. What that means is that you can book travel between Points A and C via Point B (DEN) with a stopover as long as you like, subject, of course, to the rules that govern maximum stay (round-trip fares) and travel validity period (both round-trip and one-way fares).

Alaska Airlines and the free stopover between Alaska and the Lower 48
    For virtually all of its fares between Alaska and the Lower 48, Alaska Airlines allows one free stopover each direction in either Seattle (SEA) or Portland (PDX). So for $0.00 on trips between any point in Alaska and the lower 48 you can stop along the way in either SEA or PDX to visit friends, do business, go sightseeing, count coffeehouses, etc.

US Airways - San Francisco to Paris (free stopover in Philadelphia)
    US Airways allows a stopover in Philadelphia (PHL) or Charlotte (CLT) on pretty much any fare I've looked at between the U.S. and Europe. PHL is both a domestic hub for US Airways as well as its primary hub for service between the U.S. and Europe. Currently served European cities from PHL include Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Amsterdam, plus Tel Aviv in the Middle East. From CLT the airline operates nonstop to London, Paris, and Frankfurt.

American Airlines - Sacramento to Cabo San Lucas (free stopover in Dallas)
    This isn't an example where the fare is actually lower than what you'd pay to get to DFW, but it sure is close. Pay your employer the difference in fare (a whopping $40 in this instance) and enjoy a weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (SJD). Notice in the second itinerary that it's a nonstop between SJD and SMF - Mexicana flies this nonstop and is a code-share partner of American's. You could also return on an American connection via DFW.

Delta Airlines - Sacramento to Buenos Aires (free stopover in Atlanta)
    Current fares between Sacramento (SMF) and Atlanta (ATL) on Delta are expensive if you don't plan at least 14 days in advance.

Free London stopover on British Airways and free Paris stopover on Air France
    British Airways and Air France both allow free stopovers at their respective hub airports in London (LHR - Heathrow) and Paris (CDG - Charles de Gaulle) even on their lowest round-trip fares.
    For example, you could buy a ticket from San Francisco to Rome on BA with a break in travel - not just a connection - in London and then continue on to Rome. It would not increase your fare except for some additional tax.
    Or buy a ticket from Seattle to Prague on Air France breaking the trip in Paris.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the free KEF stopovers on FI. They're tons of fun. :cool:

SK2868 likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for the BA tip- will be seeing some friends in Islignton as a result of this excellent tip that I never knew about (also my TA says Thank You- she didn't know about this either).

6. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I can't figure out the London stopover. If I price EWR-ZRH in prem economy it's about 1050 plus taxes. If I do EWR-LON-LON-ZRH-EWR it comes out well over 2200? Can this not be done online? Thanks
    Pat

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Travelgirl
    Original Member

Travelgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow,

Great info here, thanks for sharing [​IMG]

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be done through a travel agent- through ba.com I don't know how. Please post if you figure it out. Thanks!

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may also try calling CS and see if they can make it happen.

10. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok - will try CS - not ready for the trip but it makes ZRH more interesting with a stopover.
    Thanks
    Pat

11. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for a writeup just like this. Very helpful, thanks!