Inflight Wifi Now $8 per Device - Increased?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by chrislacey, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My better half just landed in SAT after flying ALB-BWI-SAT on WN. Whenever I flew WN, the Wifi price was always $5 per device (granted last time was in January) ... but I have another trip in a couple weeks ALB-TPA.

Anyways...when did the price go up to $8? http://www.southwest.com/wifi/ shows $8. Maybe I'm losing my mind (wouldn't be the first ... or last ... time)!

I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything aside from some news articles when they originally priced it back in 2010.

Happy Travels!
    Chris

2. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just increased this past month.

chrislacey likes this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's still worthwhile to me, but I wonder if people will start to think more before purchasing at the $8 price tag. Especially leisure travelers.

4. runsatthepool

runsatthepool Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, chrislacey, yes we will. Percentage wise, that's a big increase. And its not unaffordable, its just a bummer to feel taken advantage of with a relatively new service. So I'll just load up the ipad and/or laptop before I board now and skip the $8 all together when every trip before, they could have had $5.

chrislacey likes this.
  5. msbette

msbette New Member

Status Points:
    I fly SWA regularly, almost exclusively, so I don't pay the wifi fee, as a preferred a member. But I did notice the increase. I flew January 31 and it was $5, the very next day, February 1, it was $8. There was no notice or comment about the increase. I did ask about it and was told that the$5 few was an introductory price. Whatever the reason, I think it was an unnecessary increase and will definitely impact use.

chrislacey likes this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was also surprised that I couldn't really "find" anything other than the changed price on the Southwest.com site when I Googled. I use the Internet access for work (mostly email). Unfortunately as the "business owner", I can write off the expense...but don't get reimbursed. Haha! I have a few hour flight on Thursday, and will see if I'm able to stay disconnected for that long.

I wonder with the price increase is there's any noticeable difference in speed since there's (presumably) less users.

7. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Naturally last year, I was A+ and few of my flights had wifi available. Now that they almost all do (if not all), I've slipped to just A and the price goes up. Perfect.