inflight dining

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by RedTape, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Condor is starting SEA-FRA service 2x weekly for the summer season...Curious, I checked to see what they serve on the outbound flight to Germany.

Gourmet flying at its best: As an appetizer, we treat your taste buds to a fresh young leaf salad garnished with smocked salmon strips and crisp radish in sour cream dressing. As your warm main course, we serve tender pork medallions in Port sauce accompanied by Mediterranean vegetables and potato squares. A selection of cheese and a fresh roll as well as whole-grain bread adds a touch of lightness to the meal. This meal is rounded off with a refreshing yogurt-mouse-slice with marinated citrus fruits and a melt-in-your-mouth sweet delicacy.

I don't mind a smock on my salmon (after all, its just a dressing), but that dessert kinda scares me!

violist likes this.
  2. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    JKF--IST F class
    It was seriously an ENDLESS meal. The lounge serves made-to-order meals and if you don't get enough, you will be stuffed!

DSC04184.JPG
    the menu DSC04192.JPG
    Caviar - and I asked for an extra one
    DSC04193.JPG
    "Small appetizers"
    DSC04209.JPG
    desserts - we literally got the whole dessert cart on the table.

Bonnie and Exit Row like this.
  3. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    HKG-JFK F class

I actually got better food on the plane.
    DSC04607.JPG
    Wonton Noodles soup
    DSC04608.JPG
    My favorite pork bun, I had like 2 orders of these
    DSC06592.JPG
    the expected
    DSC06595.JPG
    Chicken served chill, with the chinese herb soup
    DSC06596.JPG
    pork belly
    DSC06598.JPG
    Chicken and chinese sausage in a pot

sobore and Bonnie like this.
  4. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, but did you get a refresing yogurt/mouse slice with marinated citrus fruit? No. Your meals weren't scary at all.

5. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha that sounds scary, I don't know how they could marinated fruit - with what though? but i think German do make some good yogurt.

6. I travel business class and like to see the food on trolly before choosing as the fancy words on the Menu sometime are deceiving

7. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everything sounds better in French than in English, especially with American Airlines less than stellar food in J.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is scary. Beyond the smocked salmon (I thought smocking was something that used to be done to kids clothing, a sort of fancy gathering on the outside?), I don't like the idea of warm rather than hot pork and I'm concerned if pork is the only choice, since many people don't eat pork for religious or other reasons. I don't think of cheese, a roll, and whole grain bread as adding lightness, whatever that means. The dessert sounds frightening to me. My bottom line: what was someone smoking when they wrote this menu?

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Salmon

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to imagine citrus fruit in yogurt. Wouldn't it curdle?

11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    :cool: :p :D

12. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    My fear is that the strength of the citrus would overpower the delicate, almost silk like, flavour of the mouse.

13. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    A pic is needed of the dessert :p. Over the last month, done lots of F flight with some great meals. TK was at the top. TG did decent as well.

14. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main problem is as always that this is a bad translation from German. A warm main course rather than a hot one is perfectly normal and the yogurt-mouse-slice is a perfectly normal Kuchen there. In fact I really like them.

A couple of times I've had free meals in resturants in Germany because I've offered to correct their english menus for them. Some of the translations are hilarious. There was one place where the fish had obviously mutated as they were serving loin of salmon!

15. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best part of reading translated menus are the mistranslations! What does mouse taste like? I mean a yogurt-mousse slice would be nice, but vermin really isn't to my taste.