Infant visitor in F

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Singapore Flyer, Sep 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has booked a flight back from SIN to JFK. She is traveling with our 1 y.o. This is her second long haul to the region. Wife ha to work the next day after landing and wants the comfort.
    The infant lap child fees are over $1000.

We may be able to book her sister in coach on the same flight and tag our daughter to her PNR instead. If we did that, would the FA's allow our daughter to sit with my wife in F for parts of the flight?

I am thinking it is ok up until if she makes noise. At that time the FA's may kick her out.

So do we pay the $1000 or roll the dice?

schen75 and marcwint55 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    dice

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry they're charging $1k for what exactly?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the CX policies on infants, but that seems rather ridiculous.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The high infant lap fee would seem to indicate that CX wants to discourage infant passengers in F. So one might guess if you try to sneak an unticketed infant into F, the reaction would likely be unfavorable. ;)
    It wouldn't hurt for your wife to ask the FA in advance, and possibly get an ok.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Most infant "tickets" are 10% of the fare of the parent/guardian. Wife's ticket is 10k for a one way.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Definitely going to ask if we roll the dice. It isn't prohibits per se other than it is 10% of the fare which has been our standard experience on international flights. Just that a first class on CX is over 10k. This is an award so we were "ok" paying until the sister in law angle popped up.

Didn't you fly to SG recently with a kid? May be confusing a different trip report. So many ppl going/went there. :) We go every 12-18 months to visit her family.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That wasn't me. Hope your folks have a nice trip, whichever option they choose! :)

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Children and others sitting in coach are not permitted to "visit" FC or business class cabins. This is standard throughout the industry but likely to be especially enforced on top Asian carriers. It disturbs other passengers who have paid 10K or more for their own tickets. They will complain and the purser and FAs will insist that the kid stay in the ticketed cabin throughout the flight. Even it there are no complaints and the one year old doesn't make any noise (which is unlikely for long), the cabin crew will not permit such visits, let alone the kid staying in FC throughout most of the flight. Trying to do so would be very disrespectful of other FC passengers as well as business class if the child must pass through that cabin between coach and FC. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Very true. I was okay paying the ticket for our daughter before. We'll just stick with that plan.

schen75 and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't paying for the lap fee still include the child in fc?

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are comfortable with the likelihood that your daughter will not be allowed up front, you can roll the dice. If you want her up front for certain, pay. It is highly unlikely that she will be allowed otherwise.

12. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Yes. The $1000 for her is her "ticket" to allow her to sit in FC with her mom. I won't even be there. Flying with the other two on SQ coach.

schen75 likes this.
  13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your wife must be at work the next day I would generally discourage adding care for a one year old on top of jet lag and what, even on CX in F, is not optimal resting conditions. And if your SIL is able to manage your kid in Y, this would be best.

Moreover, the fact that CX ordinarily requires $1000 indicates to me that they would tend to find bringing the child up there abusive.

With that in mind, your child is obviously no drinking the booze and eating the meals, and so long as he or she is quiet (preferably sleeping) and quickly removed when he or she becomes difficult (which I presume will inevitably happen with a one year old on so long a flight), I'd like to think the FA's might view the child's presence as tolerable. But I certainly have no experience beyond what generally seems "right to me". I would also anticipate that the emptier the F cabin, the more likely the FA's will be tolerant.

BTW, if you pay the $1000, your wife should not feel entirely bad when there is a one year old meltdown - in that case CX took the money and assumed an obvious risk.

14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    That is both of our thinking at this point. She paid to be there...as of right now, we are going to pay for my daughter's fee and try to book/convince my SIL to fly on the same flight as a backup if/when daughter gets cranky. However, my SIL just reminded me that she is an ANA elite snob. :p Only flies them when leaving SIN.

I

IDGflygirl likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they going to hand out $100 bills to the other pax? Or using it to compensate themselves when a ticked-off paying F pax decides to never fly CX again? ;)

Tracy T. likes this.
  16. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, but on the 77G, the streams of pax from Y+ to the lavs in J is a total joke...FA's can not even police this...what makes you think they will be able, especially after meal service, to stop a person going up to F?

17. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Would cups of instant noodles work?:p

schen75, iterfacio12 and Jubileesmom like this.
  18. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps your wife can visit your daughter in coach every once in awhile? How do you think your daughter will handle being separated from her mom? If she's cranky, might be a long flight for your SIL and her travelling companions.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  19. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:

Generally agree with the rest of the post, but not this part. 10% is standard, whether it were coach, business or First. The $1000 is not a reflection (even slightly) on their attitude to this type of passenger flying first.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  20. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lowest F is $21082 (AR) and you pay full YR.
    Lowest oneway F is $12650 (A) and you also pay full YR.