Inexpensive suggestions for things to do? HKG, DPS, BKK, MFM, TXL

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by eponymous_coward, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So. I was going to Germany anyway this summer, and US Dividend Miles and CO debit cards landed me a big pile of FF miles. So I leveraged that into this, in F and C:

[​IMG]

And then I got laid off unexpectedly. And hired again (after much panicked jobsearching), but my travel budget for this took a hit. The rooms I have taken care of (no hostels or backpacker flea dumps, thanks to the power of the Yankee dollar, plus SPG cash and points in a couple of spots, but 5 star hotels with hot and cold running Krug are right out). But I'll be looking for things to do that don't involve spending lots of money.

I already know the trams and Star ferry are cheap in Hong Kong. The warungs in Bali look good, too. I already know about döner kebab in Germany. But what would you suggest for someone who doesn't mind public transport and street food? I'm not averse to nightlife, it's just that my budget won't put me in with the jet set. So how do you find inexpensive things to do when you're far away from home, and might not speak the language?

Chimpy and savydog like this.
  2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a short extract from one of my many emails to Chimpy and Mangy when I was in Bali last October. I was staying at the Ayana Resort. As a club member I drank for free in the lounge all day, but any beers outside of there were AUD$8 each so matters had to be resolved :)

" So I decided to have a go at a beer run. Went to recepion and found the taxi rank is about 3 feet from where I turned around and walked back this morning. A taxi was called for me, asked the driver to take me to circle K and wait while I got some stuff for the return journey. It wasn't one of the bluebird taxis but he did put his meter on so all good. About 7 minutes in traffic to the shop.

Got 2 X 6 packs of 330 ml cans for $10, a couple of bottles of water cause they were 30c and the free ones in my room are a glass bottle that needs to be opened. Plastic screw top much more managable. couple of gatorades for use as a hang over cure, a razor and mouthwash for next to nothing, good gillete twin blade metal handle for 90c for example.

The taxi ride was 46200 about $5 but i threw him a 50000 note for the waiting around and helping me with my booze in and out of the vehicle only another 45c tip but he may be able to use it. All in all very happy now I have full control of my booze situation. "

If you take care of those necessities, the rest of the expenses will fall into place :)

NYBanker, Casey Friday and Chimpy like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How was your trip? Any economical solutions uncovered enroute?

Chimpy likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points: