Inexpensive hyatt

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by WilCo, Mar 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to a change of plans, I expect to be 2 nights short of making my platinum challenge. Living in Hungary, I don't have any nearby options in the next 50 days (time remaining on my challenge). Suffice it to say, I'm impressed with hyatt and especially diamond. I plan to extend a Houston trip a bit to make it work if needed, but am open to other options also. Price to beat is $75/night. Any ideas on properties known for being cheap I should consider instead?

flyingdawg and OceanBreezes like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a number of properties around Dulles Airport in Virginia that might work. Just make sure they offer airport pickup if you don't have a car. I see two properties next weekend at $68 and $71, though bear in mind that's before taxes. I'd only expect prices like this on Friday and Saturday, though, or maybe long holiday weekends like the 4th of July.

3. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Dallas area also has rates in this range for weekends, but the rates have be comparable to Houston the times I have looked.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of SF Bay Area properties are inexpensive on weekends. Likewise, Chicago-area in winter.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish the NYC area had them. :(

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    living in hawaii and seeing "sales" at $175 for local residents,....

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen the Hyatt in Jersey City (10 min from NYC) having some excellent weekend rates.

flyingdawg and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I have seen them too but I don't recall having good rates like a lot of others mentioned up thread. Still comes out to over 100 if I am lucky.

flyingdawg likes this.
  9. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilCo, Are you eligible for the Hyatt credit card or have an US address that you can use to get it? It comes with Platinum status as long as you have the card.

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I have that already. After tasting diamond, I don't want to give it up though. Traveling with 3 kids, the chance if a room upgrade is worth spending a little money to guarantee it for a bit.

flyingdawg and perryplatypus like this.
  11. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think everyone feels that way when it comes to having top tier status. I think my wife would file for divorce if I no longer had SPG Platinum and more so if I lost AA EXP status :D

flyingdawg and Jubileesmom like this.
  12. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's at least 4 HH/HP properties in the Houston area. Can't you find inexpensive rates there, especially on weekends?

If not, there's a thread here or on Flyertalk listing HR properties with lounges closed on weekends, including HR Schaumburg, HR Santa Clara, and some others, and many of those tend to have low occupancy rates and therefore low rates on weekends, and you will get the 2500 point bonus for closed RC per stay when you are there.

-David

flyingdawg, karung99 and marcwint55 like this.
  13. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned, best price I am seeing is 75/night. As I am new to hyatt, my only data point is spending less than that for low end marriott properties. I don't have a data point as to what a reasonably priced low end hyatt runs. If 75/night is good, so be it.

14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    $75 is pretty good. But for around that price you might be able to stay at an HR with a closed RC. The problem is if you have to fly from Houston to Chicago, Sacramento or SFO/SJC to get that rate, that might negate the bonus, unless you also need/want to do mileage runs while you are here.

-David

15. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check this thread. Summary: I've seen IAD-area properties under $60 on weekends, and an Atlanta-area property for as little as $53. The problem is that getting there may eat up the savings difference, especially if a car is required, as it would be at the $53. Norcross, GA property.

Another way to approach this is to look at Hyatt's list of category 1 properties. They likely have low rates most of the time. Indeed, all of the below-$70 properties I listed are category 1.