Inefficient Dulles Airport

Discussion in 'BWI/DCA/IAD | Washington D.C. Area Airports' started by sobore, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/inefficient-dulles-airport/2012/04/01/gIQAtLFapS_story.html

I enjoyed the March 29 Metro article “As jets expand, so does Dulles Airport.” However, it overlooked problems that continue to plague Dulles International Airport.
    I recently saw some of them firsthand when I arrived at Dulles aboard an international flight. Upon deplaning, passengers were directed into a so-called mobile lounge (which resembled a discarded “Star Wars” prop) for transit to the immigration and customs checkpoints. Although the vehicle was full, we waited 15 minutes for a driver to appear. We then made the five-minute crawl across the tarmac to the immigration hall.
    There, now more than 20 minutes after we deplaned, only two-thirds of the processing stands were staffed, and the line was several hundred passengers deep. While I waited in line, several immigration officers went off duty.

Scottrick likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a problem that I have not experienced since May 2009 when I was first enrolled into the Global Entry (GE) pilot. For international travelers, GE is a real time-saver for situations like the one just described and you should look into it...You'll be glad you did, even if you have to pay for it. I had paid the application fee ($100) back in 2009 when I was selected to participate in the pilot, but then this year, out of the blue, I received a $100 credit from AMEX Business Platinum, which is offering GE as benefit to card members...:cool:

Menashe and sobore like this.
  3. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second the plug for Global Entry. It's good for 5 years, and at $100 for five years, is really not that expensive. It's valuable for anyone who travels internationally, even occasionally.

http://www.globalentry.gov/

4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience of inefficiency at Dulles was on the other end yesterday. Going through security feels like a zoo followed by a train that leaves you so far away from the concourse you still end up walking for a long time, only to arrive into a terminal building that is so narrow and old. But the United Club in the C concourse was a welcome respite from what otherwise is a truly difficult airport experience at IAD.

5. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    It's also nice that what used to be the "Dulles Diamond" checkpoint for "expert" flyers is now just a regular checkpoint used to send down kettle from the main checkpoints.

6. bkl99

bkl99 Active Member

Status Points:
    IAD main terminal has TSA pre-check that was not busy at all, and even if they scan your boarding pass and you are not on the TSA pre-check list for whatever reason, they will let you go through the security line adjacent to pre-check which also was empty on a Sunday afternoon.