India sim

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Laptop Nomad, Sep 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone tell me which sim to get in India? I will mainly be in New Delhi, but will go to either the Nepal or Bangladesh border area.

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consensus is that Airtel is better in New Delhi area. Of the dominant players. Airtel, Vodafone are GSM based and Reliance is CDMA.

However, getting a SIM/phone is not as easy as one expects. You need a passport size photograph, and a verifiable address (A hotel address is fine) Once that hurdle is overcome, one can add value/monies to the prepaid SIM in thousands of small stores, or use an app called ding from ezetop.com or ding.com to recharge. (this app recharges hundreds of carriers in most countries, or so they claim)

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  3. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Well i just found out we will be in Gwalior, Do you know if aircell is the best one in that region. I should wait to get one there instead of Delhi.

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aircell and Airtel are two different companies. It depends on how much time you will spend in Gwalior, which is in the state of Madhya Pradesh, and how many hours,or days you will be in New Delhi before moving to Gwalior. If you are merely transiting Delhi, I'd suggest getting one in Gwalior. If you are going to spend a few days in New Delhi then makes sense to get one in New Delhi.

There are some gotchas. A SIM from New Delhi (i.e different number) could incur roaming charges, which means being charged for both incoming and outgoing calls.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  5. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    I will be one day in New Delhi, and three weeks in Gwalior. You are correct as roaming charges that is why it was wise to wait to get to Gwalior.

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    One passport size photo, a photocopy of passport page, and one photocopy of visa page, and current address - Hotel address is fine. I'd go with top three GSM - Vodafone, Airtel or Idea (or whatever is better for Gwalior, MP)

Laptop Nomad likes this.