Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201112/001968.html

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'm more excited about Malaysia Airlines joining but every airline helps I guess

Rejuvenated and jbcarioca like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I few on MH three days ago. They seem quite excited about OneWorld, but even more so about their first A380 which will arrive about then same time they join OW.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the more the merrier...and adding an African airline partner would be the merriest.

6. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the 13th, an auspicious day :)eek:) there was this:
    http://articles.economictimes.india...23928_1_dvb-bank-kingfisher-airlines-aviation
    showing DVB Bank was ready to repossess two A320's

On the 14th there was this from MarketWatch:
    Kingfisher Airlines: Intend to pay all lessors
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kingfisher-airlines-intend-to-pay-all-lessors-2012-01-14

Kingfisher is trying to import aviation fule directly to cut out high costs so this was reports a few hours ago by the Times of India:
    Kingfisher Airline importing ATF is bad economics: Oil companies

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...nomics-Oil-companies/articleshow/11497121.cms
    The story clearly is not yet near over because Reuters reporting this three hours ago:

UB won't use alcohol assets for Kingfisher-UB CFO

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/16/india-ub-kingfisher-idUSL3E8CG25Y20120116
    So OW proceeds as planned while Kingfisher is not paying salaries, cancelling flights, having planes repossessed and so it goes...
    What is OW thinking?:confused:

milchap likes this.
  8. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    ow is thinking kingfisher will find a way out of this, which it will I suspect eventually. the chairman is an influential businessman in India, and he is clearly feeding everyone the perception that he is at the wrong end of the stick to gain concessions from the government by pushing the envelope as far it goes before it tears.

Do also remember the media in India does not have experienced aviation reporters. They are laymen mostly, and no one to question them. This is the same media, which says American Airlines withdrew from India after Air Asia X.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com.../article2803579.ece?homepage=true&ref=wl_home

I am from here, but I can tell you this makes me want to put my head in the sand (the sad reporting of aviation events, i.e.)

OY-JFS, MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you are correct, but I am not certain that aviation reporting from India is so much poorer than in many other places.:( The industry press I count on much more, and the current situation is a real challenge for anybody. Can he really get out while preserving the airline? I don't know, but I know the Aircraft manufacturers, among others, really want him to succeed. The traveling public does not want them to go down. If he wins the oil company battle that will help, even though he'll ned to raise more capital for that purpose, probably not a great challenge..

OY-JFS and MSPeconomist like this.
  10. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    there exists a perception in certain sects of the indian government lobbies that flying is an elitist privilege still. This wants them to milk the cow with the high taxes on ATF (upto 30-40%). They do not realise that 'time is money' and the 10 productive hours one saves on a plane in BOM-DEL (instead of doing surface(trains)) will help them move a notch up in terms of business being donw.

So, it is all in the government's hand. and they are clearly at fault. And even if they give away concessions on jet fuel, this will lead to it being used against them in the political circles. And hence... it continues!

OY-JFS, MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm excited that both will join. :) Glad to see more hopping onboard OW who has far less carriers than *A.

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks like the entry into OW is now "on hold" due to financial issues: LINK.

13. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    FlyIce and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they can resolve the IATA interline clearinghouse issues rapidly the airline is dead. Not being able to clear revenue for interline itineraries means no partner booking revenue and that means they're basically out of business. I put odds on actually joining oneworld at 20% right now, and that's probably high.

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I smell toast.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  16. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow.. what a year 2012 has been till now! AA bankrupt, Spanair and Malev dead.. IT gasping for last breath...

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  17. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm more a ST guy, being in ATL and not traveling enough to really be worth dealing with connections just for a non-DL, nonAirTran airline, but I'm not enjoying the news today. The airline industry has suffered some big blows, and that's a bad thing even if it in some way could help DL and ST. Not that I see how Kingfisher or Malev going under helps them at all...

Less coordination through alliances means less routing options and less competition for long haul and overseas domestic for me in the future. Viva ST, Viva OW, Viva *A.

Air industry in India is really suffering. I wonder if consolidation there and the govt getting out of the way can even turn it around.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There goes easy OW Ruby status through the free King Club Silver status they were giving out a while back. I was hoping to use it to jump some lines on a OW flight on Feb. 10.

This is definitely not good news for aviation in India, either. I had to buy an intra-India ticket recently ... 2 flights total the day I wanted to go -- one on 9W, the other on IT. Just the news of IT being so far in the red made me choose 9W, even if it was 15% more expensive (which only came out to $20 USD). Just that effect has got to be hurting IT even more. It's just a matter of time IMO...

19. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but the Oneworld suits are cozy in their new Park Avenue headquarters, better than damp old Vancouver.

jbcarioca and kyunbit like this.
  20. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats AJ, the news made its way to ATW daily newsletter only this morning.

Oneworld postpones strapped Kingfisher's entrance

Troubled Kingfisher Airlines (IT) received more bad news Friday when oneworld put the Indian carrier's entrance into the alliance, which had been planned for Feb. 10, "on hold."
    Oneworld said IT needs "time to strengthen its financial position" (ATW Daily News, Jan. 6). The carrier became a oneworld-member elect in 2010 (ATW Daily News, June 8, 2010).
    Oneworld CEO Bruce Ashby said in a statement, "These are turbulent times for the airline industry in India and many other parts of the world. We have been working closely with Kingfisher Airlines over the past months and it has become increasingly clear recently that the airline needs more time to resolve the financial issues it is confronting before it can be welcomed into oneworld."
    IT founder and chairman Vijay Mallya said, "In light of the many priorities centered around Kingfisher Airlines' recapitalization efforts, we felt it prudent to defer our entry into the alliance for a little while."

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in IATA according to reports

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I faced a similar situation late last year for travel in December and the fare difference was a decent chunk more than $20 per but I still bought 9W. And a couple weeks later IT pulled the route I was flying and the rates on 9W were even more ridiculous. I'm quite glad I locked in the not so much higher price a couple weeks prior.
    Yup, but several days after they originally claimed they took care of things.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If in India fly AI. It is sure to never go down ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From the article:

The carrier, controlled by billionaire Vijay Mallya, said it's in talks with tax authorities to agree on a payment plan and "get the bank accounts unfrozen at the earliest."

He's still a billionaire? Did he not read the manual for how to become a millionaire by starting an airline? Clearly he needs to work harder and spend more of his money.
    Also from the article:
    Kingfisher said it cut about 13 per cent of flights after bird strikes and other "unexpected events" forced airplanes out of service.

Must be bird strike season in India. Kingfisher birds, maybe? Or are they calling their unpaid-for-months staff "birds" now? I could see them striking...

icurhere2 likes this.